The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Clutch noise when pedal pressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake1337

Probationary Member
Feb 12, 2014
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Need help diagnosing woosh/wurr/dragging noise when clutch pedal is pressed. The noise is also present while cruising at any speed/gear.
You can hear it when the pedal is slightly pressed and also when all the way in.

Pics and videos are attached.

I disconnected the slave and put pressure on the fork with my hand, still makes noise. Car seemed to shift normal, clutch not slipping and disengages without issue.

My set up is a new OEM master and slave, SS clutch line, stock flywheel at .610" step height, Southbend daily stage 2, comp clutch fork and ball, OEM TOB, 2 washers shimming the pivot ball, fork in the middle of the window. MT90 for the oil. ARP flywheel bolts with red loctite at 100lbs and the pressure plate bolts at 25lbs.

Clutch has been adjusted for most travel according to Jack's Transmission. Master out far enough to block the slave, then adjusted half turn until the slave can be pushed back in. I assumed I was over extending, so adjusted pedal inwards A LOT and still getting the same noise as when it's adjusted for max travel.

I'm at a loss and I really need a working car.

Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here are the videos showing the noise, doesn't seem I could add them via the post.

I had it over shimmed, was at 4mm with 2 washer, moved to a single at 2mm and the clutch noise is gone, shifts good. Now that its driving I can hear that the input shaft is on its way out, to the point where I feel uncomfortable driving it. So either a rebuilt is in order or maybe just find a used one.

Also wanted to note 1, 2mm shim put the fork almost completely centered with 21mm on the passenger side of the fork and 19mm on the drivers side, assuming the shim is needed bc my stock flywheel is old and worn?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back