The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Clutch master cylinder replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inimeg6482

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I want to know if there is a video tutorial on replacing the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder? I've been hearing that it is a 10 minute job but the infamous pepboys wants to charge for 2 hours at about 80 bucks an hour WTF and they say it's gonna be supper hard to do (see the pepboys owned by a clutch master cylinder thread).

I have been searching for a few days. I already bought the master cylinder and will be buying the slave this weekend (if I can find it) so they can be changed at the same time.

I also want to announce that I am nearing the :applause: end of a long maintenance list that all TRUE DSMer's feel is a standard procedure when buying a DSM from someone unknown. I just have the belts, coolant flush, and possible water pump replacement left to do. The car, (90 Talon TSI AWD) really has been awesome and has been driveable since I bought it (which was a GREAT:hellyeah: deal) (look at my profile to see why). clutch master cylinder is leaking but the only reasons I checked was: 1 for maintenance and 2 because I have to put the clutch pedal to the floor to shift (it does shift into every gear plus reverse) but I wanted to adjust for comfort. I 'll probably not adjust the pedal until I buy the clutch kit and it gets installed.

I've been hearing that it is a 10 minute job

You've been hearing wrong. LOL

It's not a difficult job at all, but it takes longer than 10 minutes to replace the master and slave and get the system bled. An hour or so is reasonable at a relaxed but steady pace.

If the cylinders aren't leaking, just bleed the clutch and adjust the pedal throw. That may be all it needs.

possible water pump replacement

You're gonna enjoy that if you've never done one on a DSM with the motor in the car. :D

Might as well knock out all the timing components while you're in there.

You've been hearing wrong. LOL

It's not a difficult job at all, but it takes longer than 10 minutes to replace the master and slave and get the system bled. An hour or so is reasonable at a relaxed but steady pace.

If the cylinders aren't leaking, just bleed the clutch and adjust the pedal throw. That may be all it needs.

You're gonna enjoy that if you've never done one on a DSM with the motor in the car. :D

Might as well knock out all the timing components while you're in there.
I just want to be ONE of the new DSMer's that does it right I even want to check the suspension components (wheel wobble at 60+mph.. it does stay straight but something up front needs replacement (rubber bushings are rotted)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back