The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Judder, shudder chatter, some sort vibration or rattle getting into first gear!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola916

Proven Member
Mar 16, 2022
Sacramento, California
I just got my clutch and flywheel replaced and I feel a shudder on my gas pedal when ever I start throttling in first gear from a stop. It only started after I got the parts replaced. How long does it take to break in a new clutch?

-thanks

I just did mine and it was smooth on the first drive. Yours only does this in 1st while letting the clutch pedal up, or later while you accelerate (and if so, what rpm range)?
It Mainly happens in first and rarely in second but other than that not at all

I just got my clutch and flywheel replaced and I feel a shudder on my gas pedal when ever I start throttling in first gear from a stop. It only started after I got the parts replaced. How long does it take to break in a new clutch?

-thanks
It isn't necessarily break-in. Sometimes that just normal. Depends on what clutch you have.

It Mainly happens in first and rarely in second but other than that not at I'm pretty sure it's not a tranny problem because every gear shift butter smooth and no pops or grinds

It isn't necessarily break-in. Sometimes that just normal. Depends on what clutch you have.
Gotcha I just have a regular autozone/oriellys brand clutch set and flywheel

The one that was taken out was an act heavy duty clutch, also the clutch was very heavy before and is very light now with the new clutch kit

Is this a full face sprung hub clutch disk? Which flywheel? Which pressure plate?

Did you inspect the front and rear motor mount bushings? Do you have the halfshaft bracket tightly bolted up? Bellhousing bolts and alignment dowels in place and tight? Transfer case bolts all installed and tight? Front axles confirmed fully installed into trans?

I recently got my clutch replaced because my release bearing went out so I got everything replaced. After everything got put in I started to feel a judder on the gas pedal when letting off the clutch and accelerating when in 1st coming from a dead stop ( happens sometimes in 2nd but very rarely and not a strong judder). I then got clutch, pp and flywheel replaced again after 1000 miles cuz it didn't go away. Someone please give me some insight on this. Also my nv t350 transmission has a neon input shaft (have to use a neon clutch kit). When it was taken out the first time it had an act clutch kit heavy duty in it, maybe it needs the heavy duty instead of regular one? I thought it could be other things like my hub assembly or the calipers and I got it all replaced but it's still there. I can feel the judder/vibration in the gas pedal and hear it on left side of the car in the front. The only other thing i can think of is a bad cv axle. The picture I clipped is the pp and disc that was taken out after 1000 miles, u can see like a pattern on the outer part of the pp. It almost looks like what I'm feeling and hearing. I also tried to feel it in reverse but it's not there. Plzz help

-thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Read up on "clutch chatter" and see if that matches your symptoms.

The disc/pressure plate does look like it's riding on the outer edge rather than the entire face. Could be a parts problem but also might go away as it beds itself in more.
How long does it tend to take to bed in?

Read up on "clutch chatter" and see if that matches your symptoms.

The disc/pressure plate does look like it's riding on the outer edge rather than the entire face. Could be a parts problem but also might go away as it beds itself in more.
Also I can feel the vibration after I let my foot off then clutch pedal

Does the non-turbo motor use a pilot bushing? Auto Turbo models do not but I am unsure of the other motors.

Cross that off then. It sounds like you can feel an imbalance in the rotating assembly now. I am scratching my head as to what else contributes to that.

Cross that off then. It sounds like you can feel an imbalance in the rotating assembly now. I am scratching my head as to what else contributes to that.
The input shaft was swapped with one from a neon ( I had to use a neon clutch kit and flywheel). The first clutch kit that was taken out was an act heavy duty clutch kit and flywheel. Do u thibk that might have anything to do with it ?
Like the Input shaft being swapped and having to use a heavy duty kit instead of basic one ?

Any idea if the Neon shaft is the same size on the tip as the original Mitsu part? That would be one thing I would check with a set of calipers or other measuring device.

Any idea if the Neon shaft is the same size on the tip as the original Mitsu part? That would be one thing I would check with a set of calipers or other measuring device.
The only thing that is different is how many splines there are everything else just bolts straight up

Grab them firmly and try to shake them. If they wiggle, look at the part that does. CV's will turn just a tad but shouldn't shake.

I can't watch video's until I get off work. My gvmnt computer has firewalls that prevent me from viewing them. I will look when I get off of work tho.

Don't know exactly what would be causing your juggers but it may be worth your while to check the condition of all your motor mounts for deteriorated rubber or broken. Also check your suspension bushing while you're at it.

Don't know exactly what would be causing your juggers but it may be worth your while to check the condition of all your motor mounts for deteriorated rubber or broken. Also check your suspension bushing while you're at it.
I've replaced all of them, I thought it could be that as well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back