The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zufelt

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2012
Lemoore, California
hey guys I'm currently having a clutch problem I have a2g GSX with an act 2600 clutch and resurface flywheel which is about a year old. From the beginning I was having problems getting my car into gear if I adjust the clutch properly I can get into a gear and drive but if I went wide open throttle I can shift until my RPM's dropped. so I just did so I could get into gears and not slip but it was then not adjusted properly. So now a year later it's starting to slip on me but there isn't any smell of clutchbut if I adjust it properly I have the same shifting problems and it doesn't slip. I should also mention that I got an OEM slave when the clutch is replaced along with new OEM hardware but unfortunately I didn't have enough to replace the Master as well. My thought is that the master cylinder isn't pushing enough fluid to allow me to shift at high rpm when adjusted properly I can't see any external leaks but figure it's more than likely in need of relacement since it's probably the same stocker so the 2600 finished it off.. any opinions would be great I don't wanna drop money on a hunch I have.

If it's still slipping with proper adjustment and bleeding, the clutch is likely going out.

Launch much?

With proper adjustment it does not slip. I just can't get it into gear at high rpms. Which is my reason for suspecting the master and not the clutch

2g pedal pump up? Did you shim the fork ball when you installed the clutch?

I did shim it, and I am currently getting pump up, but I'm assuming it's due to the clutch not being adjusted properly

Pump up will cause the clutch to slip.

I did a readjustment the right way, so the slave can now be pushed in.. no pump up nor slipping. But now I can't get it into gears at higher rpms. But can with casual driving.

Well, sounds like you have everything covered. I would look at slave first then the master cylinder if the slave doesn't do it.

Will do I'll clean it up and make sure it's leak free. I figure it's gotta be he master as everything else is fairly new. I appreciate the help brotha

just wanted to update the thread I got the new master in and it's still somewhat hard to get into gear. I'm getting lockout in higher RPM's still. My next step is to replace the bushings in both the inside and the outside shifter cables I'll report back when I'm done this

i have the same problem with my 2g and i change the slave cylinder and it didnt fix the problem and my master seems to be working fine. I was told to change the transmission fluid and see if it shifts better but i havent got around to doing it yet. Changing the transmission fluid could be a option cause dirty fluid could gunk up in there.

i was also told to get new cables but they seem fine and i change the bushings and that didnt help at all

i have the same problem with my 2g and i change the slave cylinder and it didnt fix the problem and my master seems to be working fine. I was told to change the transmission fluid and see if it shifts better but i havent got around to doing it yet. Changing the transmission fluid could be a option cause dirty fluid could gunk up in there.

i was also told to get new cables but they seem fine and i change the bushings and that didnt help at all

I've replaced my transmission fluid about 8 months ago with mtx when I changed the clutch. When you put your car into third do you have any side to side play? Mine moves about an inch and a half both ways, which is why solid bushings were gonna be next.

no it didnt do that but yeah i think you need bushings bad but i do have problems shifting at hight rmps to so im going to try redline mt90 and see what happens.

Okay guys, well hopefully found majority of my problem.. about a year back when I changed the clutch it seems I had forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the cables in place.. wheels are off the car at the moment so I won't know for sure till there back on and I'll report back. Rookie mistake

All good in the hood, tightened them back up and it shifts like a dream.

If it's still slipping with proper adjustment and bleeding, the clutch is likely going out.

Launch much?
Well good call.. started slipping today with proper adjustment.. assuming the clutch is done, which is shocking because it's not even a year old and I'm only putting down around 400 awhp maybe I'll look into another brand

ACT's have been proven to take some abuse, given that everything is operating as it should. When parts that deal with clutch engagement either go bad or get installed improperly it can lead to premature clutch wear.

If your clutch isn't engaging properly, attempting to get it to do so while in high RPM's will quickly lead to clutch wear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back