The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch issue..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So this kid who knows nothing about dsms is trying to sell his 6 bolt swapped tsi
He wants my truck for it but from what he says the clutch us messed up.
They put a act in there and ig he was driving along and the peddle went limp..
He had it checked out and they said the master seal went.. So he replaced that and master and ig bled the lines.. But from what I gather is the car when it's not running
Won't go into gear .. But it will go into gear when motor is off..

This car is beautiful and if it's worth and a easy fix I wanna pick it up but I'm not sure yet what to do to check..

Could it be he just didn't bleed it enough?
Could it be he installed the master and slave wrong?
Could it be the clutch pedal just needs adjusted?
Or could it be the tob went or clutch is shot?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Also sorry about bad grammar
And such I'm using my iPhone not my Mac at work!
Thanks!

Depending on price and money you gots I wouldn't buy a non running car because you don't know what all is messed up. If he doesn't know anything about dsms and he's worked on it its hard to say what else he's messed up.

Just my opinion though... good luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

When this happened to me, (middle of a very busy intersection on a green light, of course) had to turn off my truck to get it into first, then babied it, clutch-less shifting it home.
It was my TOB.

I had a similar problem where my clutch pedal went limp about a month or two after installing an act 2600. It turned out that my clutch fork had snapped. In my case though I knew what was wrong as soon as I looked under the car in the parking lot I pulled into. I had my friend push the clutch in and out while I was looking around near the slave cylinder and the broken fork eventually fell right out of the tranny onto the ground LOL. I've also had a throw out bearing go bad in one of my old dsm's and it was making a kinda rattling/metal on metal squealing sound but I replaced it before it starting giving me shifting problems so I don't personally know if it could possibly cause the issue you described. You might also want to check the adjustment rod on the master cylinder up behind the clutch pedal. If that's way out of whack it could def cause engagement issues.

Like stated above unless its a steal of a deal I would never buy a car that I couldn't test drive cause you never know what other issues there might be besides the shifting problem. If you end up fixing the shifting only to drive the car and find out its got other problems then your kinda up the creek without a paddle if you know what I mean LOL. Thats just me though. Its your call.

I had a similar problem. The car didnt want to shift into certain gears unless i double clutch it(also tough too sometimes). bled thesystem through and adjusted my clutch pedal some, and it fixed the problem. good luck

I've had to deal with a few clutch issues before, first time it was a slave, second time I thought it was the master, turned out to be a broken pressure plate on my ACT 2100.

+1 on having a friend cycle the pedal while you watch and checking to see where his adjustment is set.

Hopefully it will be an adjustment or cylinder issue, but if you can't see an issue on the outside, there may be a more expensive surprise waiting inside.

will the gears go in even if you have to grind them in??? kinda sounds like what I had, ended up being a bad slave and master.... replaced them both +bled the line and my clutch peddle felt normal again and car shifted fine.

There is also the possibility that they installed an oreilly brake-best clutch master on it. They use a shorter piston in them, so it will not displace enough fluid to disengage the clutch. I've had to return 10 of them before finally figuring that that they were defective.

Could it be he just didn't bleed it enough?
Could it be he installed the master and slave wrong?
Could it be the clutch pedal just needs adjusted?
Or could it be the tob went or clutch is shot?

Yes it could be any of those things, or even a broken clutch fork.
Bring it by my shop, and I'll show you exactly which one of those things it is.

when you find out let me know....i have an act six puck and it makes funny sounds when i let off the gas like the throw out bearing is dry...im learning there seems to be a lot of issues with this clutch system

when you find out let me know....i have an act six puck and it makes funny sounds when i let off the gas like the throw out bearing is dry...im learning there seems to be a lot of issues with this clutch system

Did you use the ACT or OEM tob? The act's are know to be kinda junky. I had an act tob that started making funny noise a few thousand miles after installing. I replaced it with a brand new oem one and drove it noise free for many thousands of miles :thumb:

I've had this problem on several occasions.

1. When I had a 6 puck and the center gear on the clutch plate rounded out after 1000 miles due to defect.
2. When the slave and or master cylinder went out.
3. When the rubber section of the clutch line broke and leaked fluid.

I would check for any fluid leaks in engine bay and drivers side floor. if possible pull the trans cover off on bottom to inspect clutch assembly. Check to see if the slave cylinder moves when clutch pedal is pressed. I found that having new cylinders, a good clutch and a partial braided hard line helped me. Bleeding the clutch is good, but I never liked the clutch feel or engagement until I put on a braided hard line because of the fluid reservoir that is in line. I'll keep looking at this post to help, I hope this guy has all receipts.

My clutch also went dead a couple years ago and would only go into gear with the engine off. It was due to a bad clutch master cylinder. I replaced both cylinders (if one went, the other is probably won't be long), flushed and bled the system, and it was good as new :)!

FWIW -- I'm at 130 Km now and my original clutch including TOB are still working just fine :)!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back