The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch Is Sticking To the Floor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97GSTJake

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2006
North Vernon, Indiana
Ok guys first off i have 130,000 miles on my car. It STILL has the stock clutch in it. From what i know, no clutch work has ever been performed. I have had this eclipse for about a year. It is my 5 spd i have ever owned, so it took some wearing getting used to it for a while. It took about 3 months until i could drive the car perfectly with a stick. Over time i have noticed the clutch wearing out. When i say this, i mean the clutch is getting easier and easier to press down. There seems be less clutch pressure everyday. About a month ago i notcied the clutch pedal clicking when i would engage and disengage. I drove the car this past weekend and noticed the clutch being so soft it was almost like i had no clutch whatsoever. WHen i got to a stop sign on my road, i pressed the clutch in, and had to FORCE into 1st gear, and the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. I had to literally pull it off the floor with my foot. I made it home finally. I can not leave the driveway now due to the clutch just sticking to the floor everytime it is pressed. What does this sound like? I have done nothing so far. I am going to try and bleed the clutch (if i can do it correctly) tomorrow night and see if that fixes my problem. Do you think i just need a new clutch all together or will bleeding possibly work? Thanks, jake

Your clutch going bad will have nothing to do with the feel of the pedal. The feel is due to a pressure leak somewhere. Check around your master cylinder to see if there is fluid in there. Try to bleed it out but sounds like your master cylinder is shot. If the clutch goes bad your car will start to slip...start building rpm without moving.

The same thing happened to me. The clutch pedal kept sticking to the floor and I couldn't get the gears engaged. I replaced the master cylinder to begin with and bled the system. I ended up replacing the entire clutch because the clutch disc was shredded smooth on one side from the previous ownder, since I only had the car for about 2 days when it started doing that. Looked like this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I replaced it with an ACT2600 and an XACT Flywheel, as well as a slave cylinder from a 3000GT with a 1/4" extended push rod. Put some BG Syncro in there and it shifts great.

The clutch disk is most likely not your problem. It is either your slave cylinder leaking or your master cylinder leaking. Check to see if you have enough break fluid in the clutch reservoir. The little reservoir to the right of the break reservoir. Look under the dash where the clutch petal goes into the firewall and see if it is leaking fluid there. Also look under the front of the car for fluid leaking anywhere. I actually had the hard metal line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder rub a hole in it on mine. Just check for leaks I'm sure you'll find one. Once you fix the leak and bleed the system. I'm sure your clutch will be fine. Good luck:thumb:

meet mr. master cylinder and mrs. slave cylinder. LOL

most likely your master cylinder is leaking or just dead. This is something we see a lot and it is actually not to bad of a fix. I would personally recommend you pick up a master cylinder, a slave cylinder and go ahead and get a SS line to connect the two while you have everything a part anyway.

With the mileage you have you should go ahead and replace your clutch, even if it is with a stockish type clutch. drain your trans fluid because jamming the gears has probably put some shavings into the flow that can cause more problems down the line and fill the trans with BG Synchro Shift II.

You will be surprised how much fun a car can be again when you freshen up the drive train.

best of luck to you and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

:dsm:

same thing happenned to me this weekend. drove fine all day the after dropping off a friend came to a stop sign, pressed in the clutch pedal... and it stayed there :cry: My moneys on the slave ;)

prostreetdsmx1 said:

most likely your master cylinder is leaking or just dead. This is something we see a lot and it is actually not to bad of a fix. I would personally recommend you pick up a master cylinder, a slave cylinder and go ahead and get a SS line to connect the two while you have everything a part anyway.

With the mileage you have you should go ahead and replace your clutch, even if it is with a stockish type clutch. drain your trans fluid because jamming the gears has probably put some shavings into the flow that can cause more problems down the line and fill the trans with BG Synchro Shift II.

You will be surprised how much fun a car can be again when you freshen up the drive train.

Where can I pick up a master and slave cylinder for a 2g?

well first off i do not think that is crank walk. I checked my clutch fluid resevoir and as i expected.... bone dry... I looked right exactly where the clutch master cylinder is and it is leaking quite a goood amount.... I will finish this project tomorrow. My dad went to pick a new clutch master cylinder and we are going to install and bleed the line tomorrow. Now i need to find a write up on how to remove and install the clutch master cylinder and bleeding the line. Is it okay to go ahead and use DOT 3 brake fluid? Is the CMC pretty hard to change? I would really like to send a thanks for everyone who has posted, and even looked at this thread. I cant tell you how much i appreciate the help on diagnosing this problem early. This site is wonderful, and i will continue to use it to all of my benefit. Thank you all.... I will repost to tell you how we come out tomorrow night. Is it okay to go ahead and use DOT 3 brake fluid? Is the CMC pretty hard to change?

Master cylinder is pretty easy to change. DOT 3 is recommended fluid. Just make sure you adjust it right. Just a few nuts up about the clutch pedal and take the lines off the master cylinder and pull it out. Pretty straight forward.

I'd still check the clutch. Hard to beleive it made it 130,000 miles, even after you "learned" on it for 3 months, and considering it's still original. At least take the inspection plate down and have a look..

prostreetdsmx1 said:

This JUST happened to me 2 weeks ago. If you're expieriancing the same problem I had, then it's the part on the right. The correct name for it is the "Clutch Release Cylinder." This part pushes onto the Clutch Lever which engages/disengages the clutch. Best advice I could give to you... first, check your clutch fluid reservoir. If it's full, GREAT. Then... jack your car up, get your g/f to come out and push the clutch in and out while your under the car inspecting the clutch line. PLEASE USE JACK STANDS (I'm not sure what kind of a relationship you have w/ your girl.)

In my case the actual housing (the female end) of the clutch release cylinder had broken. There's 2 bolts that mount this to the transmission and one of them and snapped. Well, when i got underneath the car I noticed that one of the bolts was extremely loose and didn't notice that the second bolt wasn't broken which was causing the weird feeling in my clutch pedal. I then tightened up the loose bolt and took it for a test drive... it lasted about 10 minutes like that before the second female end housing snapped. A brand new clutch release cylinder cost me $30 and I was able to get it the very next day.

haha oh boy today was a long day! I finally replaced that damn master cylinder... It was a bi*** to get to in certain areas but i looked on my old one and it was corroded and looked disfunctional on the the end of the rod by the rubber piece. So we afterwards we bleeded the clutch.. Not once nor twice, but about THIRTY times. My clutch is still sticking! I have to pump the living shit out of it to get some pressure and it is still sticking after driving on the highway (without using the clutch). After about 20 minutes of not using it, the pedal pressure will just fall over and die. Pedal then glues to the floor once again. I really need some help on this one guys. Am I bleeding my clutch wrong somehow????? i will pump the pedal, let out, and press the clutch all the way in and hold it while dad was doing whatever step is next underneath the car. He said it was squirting the shit out of him and that my old fluid was hideous looking. We honestly bled it about 30 times and finallly gave up. We ALWAYS made sure there was fluid in the resevoir and kept refilling it over and over again before it even got halfway empty. POSSIBILITIES: Pressure plate? Slave cylinder (looked finally when observed), Throw out bearing?

There is a spring on the clutch pedal im wondering if this is bad . Are your tranny bolts tight to the block?
It sounds like you need to repalce your clucth and pressure plate !

well i dont exactly know how to check that? Just the bolts attached on the slave cylinder to the tranny? is this what u mean... I was thinking the same on the spring on the pedal as well, wonder how much that would cost to replace,.

Try stuff that doesn't cost money before you go replacing things that may or may not need to be replaced. Even if you're 95% sure you know what the problem is, there's still a 5% chance that it's something easy and cheap/free. Try bleeding your fluid. If there's air in it, it will not compress properly. Bleeding it is free, too.

I had to bleed mine 3 times before the pedal felt good. Each time I put about a pint of break fluid through it. It seems like forever of bleeding. I would check for leaks. If there's no leaks then Bleed some more.

ok so i have a 95 gsx i had recently had trouble with the clutch sticking. i thought it was be cause of the master and slave going bad so i replace them both the car was working fine for like a week and then my clutch started to stick again. i checked the line and found a leak i change the line and now the clutch doesnt stick which is good the only problem i have now is that now the car wont start i push i the clutch to the floor and nothing can anyone help please

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back