The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch going bad already??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1i111i1

Probationary Member
Oct 6, 2004
Lynchburg, Virginia
When I originally bought my car two years ago it had a bad clutch so I replaced it (ACT 2100 I think, maybe the 2600). Last night the car felt kinda funny when I was letting the clutch engage... as though it didn't engage right away. This morning on my way to work I'm in 4th gear at about 45-50mph and start to go up a hill. About halfway up I felt a decrease in inertia (no more acceleration) and the revs go up a grand or two. I let off the gas and put it in third and made it up the hill. I guess my question is how long does a clutch last. I don't street race so I didn't abuse it, but 2 years doesn't sound right. Also, my first guess is that it's slipping, could be be something else causing the problem. Adjust the pedal maybe? I already have it engaging close to the floor. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks, and...

God bless,
Tim B.

p.s. I have been revving high at idle lately, but not sure that would have an effect on the tranny.

Thanks for the input. I'll give that a try when I get back home. I let you guys know what happens. Thanks again, and...

God bless,
Tim B.

although you dont street race or anything like that, do you ride the clutch alot? constantly have your foot on it, and slipping it out to get a little more acceleraction? Do you ever just drop the clutch, in any gear, regarless of speed instead of ease it out? all of these things can cause a clutch to wear prematurely, and it will do so in your 2 years of driving. Another thing, did you break the clutch in properly? i once did not and my clutch went out prematurely. hope this helps

you also might wanna make sure that you dont rest your foot on the clutch pedal. my friend used to do that and he went through 2 act 2600s in like 8 months. it finally occured to him what was going on... just something you might wanna pay attention to.

Thanks for all your help guys. I adjusted the pedal to the extreme both ways and it only helped a little. I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch.

New question though:
Can I just replace the disk or should I replace both the disc and the pressure plate.

Also, if the ACT 2100 went up so quick, does anyone have any suggestions for a good performance clutch? I'd like to have performance AND last longer than 2 years.

Thanks again for all your help.

1i111i1 said:
Thanks for all your help guys. I adjusted the pedal to the extreme both ways and it only helped a little. I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch.

New question though:
Can I just replace the disk or should I replace both the disc and the pressure plate.

Also, if the ACT 2100 went up so quick, does anyone have any suggestions for a good performance clutch? I'd like to have performance AND last longer than 2 years.

Thanks again for all your help.

i would replace both the PP and the disc... reason being, it may have been a problem with the PP that cause the premature failure of the disc. also, you may wanna go up to an act 2600 depending on your type of driving. also, SBR released the 3500 heavy duty clutch and i have it in my car and i think it drives really nicely, but i dont know how long it will last. it grabs nice and has nice pedal pressure though.

Thanks Jive Master,

I've been doing some research on my lunch break, and it looks like the consensus is to have the ACT 2600 for AWD set ups. Wish I had known that before. I think I was afraid of clutch chatter and got the 2100 earlier. I'm probably gonna get the ACT 2600 and put it in next week sometime. I'll post what happens after the install with pics of the bad unit. Thanks again for all the help guys.

God bless,
Tim B.

1i111i1 said:
Thanks Jive Master,

I've been doing some research on my lunch break, and it looks like the consensus is to have the ACT 2600 for AWD set ups. Wish I had known that before. I think I was afraid of clutch chatter and got the 2100 earlier. I'm probably gonna get the ACT 2600 and put it in next week sometime. I'll post what happens after the install with pics of the bad unit. Thanks again for all the help guys.

God bless,
Tim B.

i too was in the same boat... had an act 2100 for about 2 years and i just opted to go with the sbr 3500 cause the tranny was out and the clutch was looking a little worn. i think you'll be happy with the 2600 though as that is what most awd people tend to go with. i just went with the sbr clutch cause i kept reading about people with acts that had springs popping out and i cant afford to drop the tranny anymore... so i went with something that isnt as proven, but seemed to get good reviews. enjoy the act 2600, hope it works well for ya.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back