The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch for DD 20g setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smills1840

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2011
Blacksburg, Virginia
I'm planing on doing a simple 20g build, shooting for 350 whp on my 5 spd GSX. It's pretty much only going to be my daily, going to the track maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I'll very rarely launch the car, mainly doing highway pulls and such.

My question is: What is going to be the best clutch setup for me? I'm shooting for 350 whp, not sure what kind of torque that's going to make but I'm assuming low 300's. It definitely can't be too heavy on the pedal, but I'm not expecting stock feel either.

Thanks guys!

ACT 2600 or 2900 which is a street disc with heavy duty pressure plate.

ACT 2600 & 2900 are the pressure plates

But to answer the OPs question I just put a centerforce DFX in my talon and the pedal feel is close to stock, my buddies talon has a ACT 2100 and my pedal feels about the same as his. Talked to the CF rep and he said the DFX in the 4g63 is rated to 475tq

ive been using competition clutch for over 5 years on 2 different dsms and work great and cost less than ACT. a stage 2-4 have the same pressure plate and to me the feel is not bad on the pedal but some have told me it was hard (im thinking its because they drive hondas) a stage 2 has been proven to hold 400 hp (street disc.) im now running a 6puck sprung stg4 and love it. MAP performance is a good place to get them from.

ACT 2600 & 2900 are the pressure plates

But to answer the OPs question I just put a centerforce DFX in my talon and the pedal feel is close to stock, my buddies talon has a ACT 2100 and my pedal feels about the same as his. Talked to the CF rep and he said the DFX in the 4g63 is rated to 475tq

yes I know this. I was simply saying he can use either one with a street disc and be fine for a daily driver/

I had a 2600 with a street disc up to around 400whp without problems. It was the best to launch out of everything I've ran so far, not my DD though. The pedal pressure is a bi*** though! If it was a dd, I would want less pedal pressure for sure!

Go with a Southbend TZ-Series Kevlar Clutch, it's a far better option over the ACT's.

It'll feel like a stock clutch but will cover your power goals and some without unnecessary pressure on the thrust bearings.

Go with a Southbend TZ-Series Kevlar Clutch, it's a far better option over the ACT's.

It'll feel like a stock clutch but will cover your power goals and some without unnecessary pressure on the thrust bearings.

+1 South Bend is a much better choice than ACT. Strong, light pedal feel, and no history of epic failure.

I do. www.tmzperformance.com.

My website is down for the weekend due to server issues though.

I would look at two choices, the SBC SS-Series pressure plate with either the TZ-series full kevlar clutch disk, or with the TZ/B dual friction kevlar/ceramic disk.

If the car is going to see any sort of track launches I would strongly recommend the TZ/B dual friction disk. It will handle the launches better and will still have complete streetability and soft pedal feel while being gentle on the transmission and having no Decel harmonics.

South Bend is a much better choice for dd less pedal pressure and can hold what the 20g can throw at it.

I do. Account Not Available.

My website is down for the weekend due to server issues though.

I would look at two choices, the SBC SS-Series pressure plate with either the TZ-series full kevlar clutch disk, or with the TZ/B dual friction kevlar/ceramic disk.

If the car is going to see any sort of track launches I would strongly recommend the TZ/B dual friction disk. It will handle the launches better and will still have complete streetability and soft pedal feel while being gentle on the transmission and having no Decel harmonics.

Your name is the only one I'm seeing, but I saw the site was down so I was just curious if anyone else carried them. There isn't a lot of info on South Bend's site.

Like I said, I really doubt I'll be launching the car hard. We only have a 1/8th mile track here, so it's not too appealing. Maybe the occasional quick take off from a stop light, but I don't think I'm going to be bouncing it off the limiter and dumping the clutch.

Thanks man, I'll keep checking for your site to come back up.

Like Tim said, If your going to be drag racing and making back to back launches, I'd opt for a 6 puck. I and others have had great success with the XTD stage 4's. Lots of people have had good luck with Tim's stuff, and ACT's too.

If your not dragging it, get a kevlar disk and a decent PP.

Don't skimp on the flywheel. Get an ACT streetlight.

I can't wait to order my soutbend clutch from your website Tim. Just putting some cash together. Could you please tell me more about the two clutches mentioned above.

Nevermind I just took a look at your website. Very cool stuff indeed.

How much horsepower is the TZ/B dual friction rated for? I'm going to be in the market for a clutch very soon, what is the recommended flywheel for something like that aswell? Thanks!

I daily drove my old 20g setup on an XTD Stage 4 unsprung clutch. Held 422 awhp and plenty of launches for ~20k miles. When I took it out for the motor swap, still had plenty of meat left.

I run a 2200 lb pressure plate and a sprung 6 puck. It has held around 400hp...pulling after launch. During the start of the launch, it slips. If you're running 400 on a DD, you'll want a heavier pressure plate than 2200 lbs, for sure.

If you dont mind a big left calf, XTD stage 4 unsprung is an awesome clutch for the money!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back