The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch fingers worn (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
I pulled out my clutch from my 1G Eclipse to upgrade it and found that the clutch fingers are extremely worn, but also the throw out bearing wasn't aligned perfectly centered on them. What could have caused this? How can I prevent this when installing my new clutch?

A shop installed the clutch for me about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how this happened.

I had planned on re-using this clutch in my 2g Talon, but I'm guessing that's not a great idea.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks like, while you were turning the motor 9k, the TOB could only do 6k and rubbed on the fingers. :p
I have a plate that looks kinda similar Erik. I think the TOB was always preloaded on the fingers instead of just floating there.

I'll agree with @1990TSIAWDTALON that there was some pre-load on the TOB, and @silvreclips brings up a good contributing factor it could be. If no extended rod is used, a misadjustment in the system somewhere is present.

Usually some small wear is noticable, but that's excessive. Might be able to get a new pressure plate, but might as well get a whole new clutch kit.

I'll agree with @1990TSIAWDTALON that there was some pre-load on the TOB, and @silvreclips brings up a good contributing factor it could be. If no extended rod is used, a misadjustment in the system somewhere is present.

Usually some small wear is noticable, but that's excessive. Might be able to get a new pressure plate, but might as well get a whole new clutch kit.

OK so is this just improper clutch adjustment? I'm putting in a brand new clutch kit and I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Also, how is possible that the TOB could be off-centered that much?

What brand was the TOB? If not OEM with the composite internal race material & was an aftermarket one with a metal race check the sleeve the TOB sides on that the tranny input shaft goes through for wear. The aftermarket TOB are hard on the aluminum and will cause the TOB to ride off center like yours as the wear down. Main reason for only using OEM TOB.

Absolutely not. It's a horrible solution and causes more issues.

When adjusting your master cylinder. Once you go to far you block off the return port for the slave and the slave will stay extended some. As you are adjusting the master, go to the slave and try to manually push it back into it's bore. It's hard but you can do it by hand. At any point in time if you can not push it back in, you have gone to far with the master.

It's not the tob it's the fingers that are off center. Apparently the tob was slipping on the fingers.
That's not it unfortunately. Clutch was centered perfectly, that picture I posted is just at an angle. The OEM TOB was off centered. By a lot. I noticed my new one is lopsided too, so f*** that thing, I put the aftermarket TOB in with my new clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back