The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

clutch engagement issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexystover

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2008
allentown, New_Jersey
is it possible to pull the tranny wihtout draining it? i need to shim my pivot ball but i just filled the trans and transfercase with fluid 2 days ago and i really cant afford to waste all that fluid and buy new stuff, so if i pull the axles fromt the hubs and leave them attached to the trans can i pull it far anough away to just shim the pivot ball and reinstall it?

found out previous owner already shimmed it, see my second post for details

Last edited:
well just found out its already been shimmed (talked to previous owner) he said he already installed the longer slave rod, had the pedal assembly rebuilt and installed new fork/ball and shimmed it. idk whats left

I had the same problem with mine, you probably need a new fork, the ball actually makes the hole in the fork deeper which is why if you shim it it will work for a while but once that wears in its to far gone to shim then you just need a new fork. I put a new fork and ball in and its been great ever since. Hope this helps.

If it has been shimmed and they have a longer rod on it, it may be time to replace the fork and ball. Probably going to need a stock rod when they go in. I just bought fork, ball, and throwout bearing for 101.xx at my local dealer.

If it has been shimmed and they have a longer rod on it, it may be time to replace the fork and ball. Probably going to need a stock rod when they go in. I just bought fork, ball, and throwout bearing for 101.xx at my local dealer.

I had the same problem with mine, you probably need a new fork, the ball actually makes the hole in the fork deeper which is why if you shim it it will work for a while but once that wears in its to far gone to shim then you just need a new fork. I put a new fork and ball in and its been great ever since. Hope this helps.

well just found out its already been shimmed (talked to previous owner) he said he already installed the longer slave rod, had the pedal assembly rebuilt and installed new fork/ball and shimmed it. idk whats left

already been done ..

Last edited:
Have you confirmed your clutch pedal assembly isn't worn out? If the assembly hasn't been welded, this is a very big possibility. Also, get rid of the longer slave cylinder rod. It's not helping you.

yea i checked that first, he had all new pedal assembly, clutch slave/master , clutch, fork, pivot ball and shimmed less than 10k ago

found slave loose, bench bled the master and looks like the trans may not be tight =[ starting to wonder what the P/O was thinking. but the clutch doesnt grab off the floor anymore, its a little higher

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back