The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

clutch disc thickness

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmxr152

15+ Year Contributor
May 27, 2006
Gardnerville, Nevada
I've been trying to find what the clutch disc thickness is on diffrent brands of clutch's. I measured my spec with 10k miles at .312 and my f1 with 2k miles to. 308. I heard the OEM discs are. 315 from the factory? The reason I ask I because I'm having clutchnet make me a custom solid disc to work with my spec pressure plate and it seems some brands have different thicknesses than others and machine there pressure plates differently as well.

ACT specs worn out at .275" and new/good at .330" compressed (after seating in with pressurea as i understand it) THe one i just got was .340" new and by all acccounts i swear it's the same disc that RPS sells and i got it by duralast or valeo the manufacturer for a fraction of the cost

Email from clutch net. This was a inquiry about a 6 puck unsprung.

The disc thickness in 0.315"-0.320".

If it goes under 0.305" its time to replace it.

The size of the button is 3.027" wide and 1.270" high.

Bmxr152, you can use any disk you want as long as you set the flywheel step to match it. So if you have a disk which is thicker, then you want more step to compensate for it.

Another way to check is to put the clutch together on the bench. If the pressure plate fingers point straight toward each other, or inward, then your step is too small and you need to increase it a bit. If they point slightly outward then you are golden.

When you install the clutch in the car, and bolt the trans to the engine, the TOB fork should be right in the middle or slightly to the right. If it's grossly off, then the step still isn't correct. If it's slightly to the left, then simply add a shim to the pivot ball.

Good luck!

Jack

Bmxr152, you can use any disk you want as long as you set the flywheel step to match it. So if you have a disk which is thicker, then you want more step to compensate for it.

Another way to check is to put the clutch together on the bench. If the pressure plate fingers point straight toward each other, or inward, then your step is too small and you need to increase it a bit. If they point slightly outward then you are golden.

When you install the clutch in the car, and bolt the trans to the engine, the TOB fork should be right in the middle or slightly to the right. If it's grossly off, then the step still isn't correct. If it's slightly to the left, then simply add a shim to the pivot ball.

Good luck!

Jack

Okay thanks for the advice. I was thinking that as well, im getting the disc today and i will measure the compressed thickness of it and see what i get. Also ill try and assymble the clutch on the bench to see what i get. Thanks for the help i really appreciate it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back