The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Clutch Choice for daily and weekend racer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshMc

Proven Member
Nov 18, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri
First off id just like to say this is my first post, so i apologize if this is in the wrong spot, but i own a 96' GSX 5-spd, and this is my first dsm so still trying to learn as much as i can, have been reading a lot but haven't found the exact answer i'm looking for about my clutch selection, so any help/feedback of people with real experience would be awesome!

little background first, bought the car non-running with a blown motor back in November of 2015, and have been slowly gathering the parts and everything i need to get her hopefully all back together and running by July of this year, im getting my bottom end fully built currently with Weisco 1400hd 10:1 pistons .010 over, Manley turbo tuff i beam rods, stock polished crank, balance shafts deleted, all new gaskets, new oem pump ext... top end was rebuilt to stock specs, new valves, valve seals, pretty much brand new stock head, will be on a evo8 ecu with evoscan, will have fid2000 injectors, walbro 450 pump, fuelab regulator and filter kits, and will have a flex fuel sensor so i can run e85 mix if i need to, but will most likely be on e85 when racing and regular fuel when dd will be getting it professionally tuned so that will be taken care of, and im currently on a 14b for now but looking to upgrade to a 20g or a 50trim next year, as well as upgrading the top end as well next year when i get there, so my power goals are around 380-420ish at the wheels, and before i put the motor back in in June, i figured now would be a great time to put a new clutch in, so my question is as follows,

i am currently building a dd, but am planning on taking it to autocross events once a month and the occasional 1/8 mile at my local track, so being that this will be my daily driver for at least a year, and im wanting to take it to aut0-x events and maybe the drag strip a couple times so i can get some times down, what type of clutch would you guys recommend? whether it be solid disk, sprung/unsprung 6 or 4 puck, what strength of PP should i use? and what brands do you find to be the best quality?

(side note:i have acquired a BNIB Comp Clutch lightweight steel flywheel to use with my setup)

any feedback would be awesome! thanks for the help

With those power levels as well as the application, I would go with a South Bend Clutch SS-series pressure plate and B-series full Ceramic clutch disk (sprung-hub, full-face with 8 segmented friction pads on each side). The clutch will work fine for daily usage with enough streetability to not be a hassle, and have extremely soft pedal pressure while handling your power levels and abuse for weekend autox/drag racing fun and not have slipping issues when racing.

With those power levels as well as the application, I would go with a South Bend Clutch SS-series pressure plate and B-series full Ceramic clutch disk (sprung-hub, full-face with 8 segmented friction pads on each side). The clutch will work fine for daily usage with enough streetability to not be a hassle, and have extremely soft pedal pressure while handling your power levels and abuse for weekend autox/drag racing fun and not have slipping issues when racing.
This is the same one I am running and I couldn't be happier its awesome!

Kelvin, I believe you have the SS-X version; the SS-series is near stock-like pedal pressure while still handling up to around 550tq.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back