The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch Chatter, What is the cause of this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadRS

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2003
New_JerseyUS
I have a 95 Eclipse with the 420A engine and 5 speed trans. My question is when I try and go from a dead stop and lift up on the clutch it chatters/shakes so bad sometimes I think my engine is going to fall out of the car. If I'm rolling even a little bit I can engage the clutch no problems and when its moving it runs great with no slipage at all. I'm interested to know why this happens and if this is common on these cars? Also how do you guys take off from a dead stop?

Thanks

Have you done any clutch work lately? Do you get it if you downshift from any gear or at a higher speed shifting?

I have not done any work at all to the clutch assembly and it only has like 45K on it. This only happens when I try and start from a dead stop. Maybe its the way I am trying to get moving. If I try let the clutch out from idle without reving it up a bit this is when it happens.

How does everybody with a stick take off from a dead stop? Do you let the clutch out at idle or do you rev it up and slip the clutch a bit. I came from driving V8s and they have enough torque to get you going by just letting up on the clutch without having to give it gas

Originally posted by 1BadRS
I have not done any work at all to the clutch assembly and it only has like 45K on it. This only happens when I try and start from a dead stop. Maybe its the way I am trying to get moving. If I try let the clutch out from idle without reving it up a bit this is when it happens.

How does everybody with a stick take off from a dead stop? Do you let the clutch out at idle or do you rev it up and slip the clutch a bit. I came from driving V8s and they have enough torque to get you going by just letting up on the clutch without having to give it gas

I know exactly how you feel, I came from cars built during the Pony car ages, and I can't even tell you how often I stalled My Talon from a dead stop.

I would recommend reving it up a bit and slipping the clutch. 4 bangers just don't have the low end torque to keep the car moving at idle.

And I couldn't even tell you what rpm to get it up to from a flat dead start, I do it all by feel. You should be able to get the hang of it by a week or two.

Regards,
CMF

Thats got to be it, since it works perfect any other time. I just thought I was going to burn up the clutch that much faster if I slip it a little on take off.

Thanks guys

It takes a little power, but you shouldn't get chatter. I can pull off the line nice and easy with no chatter - just like any other car. Sure DSM's don't shift like most :rolleyes: , but you shouldn't be having that issue under normal instances. If you need to get going, and don't want to slam your head against the A pillar, then yes - rev it up a little more.

How is your play on the clutch? you should have about 1/8th play at the top of the pedal. Also, about 1/8th at the bottom before engagement. Is your fluid low or burnt? If it's a small problem, it might be present in all shifting, but you may only feel it in first, since then is when you feel most load of easing it out.

If it's as heavy chatter as you make it sound, it is NOT normal - and i would advise finding out the problem before is creates another.

Thats got to be it, since it works perfect any other time. I just thought I was going to burn up the clutch that much faster if I slip it a little on take off.

Thanks guys

So long as you aren't obnoxious about it on the take offs and keep the shifts clean it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I currently have about 166k miles on my car and it still has the factory installed clutch.

Regards,
CMF

On the way home tonight I decided to give it little gas while letting out the clutch and it worked much better. There is that sweet spot I just have to find it. I guess I was worried about prematurely wearing out the clutch by slipping it a little to get going, but by the sound of it I don't think thats going to be a problem. I am just used to my V8 and all that torque to get you going, but it sure doesn't get the gas millage this car does :cool:

My question is when I try and go from a dead stop and lift up on the clutch it chatters/shakes so bad sometimes I think my engine is going to fall out of the car.

Was that just an exagerated description?

Originally posted by dynatos
Was that just an exagerated description?

It probably was. I think it was a matter of perspective. With a V8 you really would never hear the sound our engine makes from a dead stop unless you were in 3rd gear coming to a stop and the clutch was still engaged.

I imagine he won't be having this problem in about a week or so.

CMF

I really wasn't exagerating when I said it shakes so bad I feel like the car is going to fall apart. I was worried about burning my clutch up prematurely by slipping it a little bit to get the car moving, but now I rev it to like 1,400 rpms while letting out on the clutch and it engages much better.

Before I was trying to start off at a dead stop from idle, and thats when it would chatter/shake until it got to a comfortable rpm, but like I said when I drove my camaro you just start letting up on the clutch and off you go.

It's shaking cuz your engine is trying to die. ROFL.

Give it some gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back