The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Clunking noise in passenger rear wheel during braking only

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbolence56

Proven Member
Jul 14, 2021
North_Carolina
I have some clunking noise to my passenger rear wheel only when braking. Does not happen when turning or accelerating. Any ideas? I took the wheel off and moved everything around and shock things. Everything looked tight. Shook the wheel and no movement noted. Again only happens when braking at any speed.

wheelbearing?
E-brake cable?
Suspension?

im stumped at the moment. I’m thinking rotors or pads or brakes? As it only happens when braking? Any help would be appreciated.

As Steve said, which model is this? Disc brakes? Fwd, awd?
If it happens at any speed and is Fwd, Jack that wheel up, spin it by hand and have someone hit the brakes while you’re looking.
Are the top strut bolts tight?

Last edited:
It’s a 97 gsx. I replaced the rear pads yesterday to see if the noise would go away as it is only during braking. Right rear (passenger side) was the one having issues. Pads were really worn and pitted actually. Swapped them out for new pads along with the drivers rear. The car is still noisy. But the pads have to bed first and seat correct? I believe the rotors need to be turned still, but wanted to replace the pads first to see if that would fix the issue. The car is quite now at slower speeds 35 mph) but still sound Grindy at higher speeds. Makes me think I need to bed and break in the pads first.

will keep this post updated. I did check all the bolts and everything was tight.

I appreciate the reply’s. Thank you. It was clunking, until I changed the pads. Now it’s grinding (but pads are brand new). And no haven’t had the rotors turned yet as I wasn’t sure it was the issue and didn’t want to throw money at it if it wasn’t the cause. I plan to have the rotors turned as I think the issue is both worn pads and warped rotors. I could also just get new rotors they are pretty cheap.

I was just asking about the grinding noise if that was expected since the pads are brand new, like 3 miles on them. The grinding will go away once they are broken in right?

So if the pads fixed your clunking issue, It was moving in the bracket. That's called pad slap or pad shift, just an fyi, and sometimes caused by worn hardware also. The grinding now will eventually go away as long as the rotor is somewhat flat but rotors are cheap enough so that's up to you.

Yeah I will see if the grinding goes away after more driving. Thanks for the info on the slap didn’t know that. All the clips and hardware were there on removal so nothing was missing. Rotors are easy to replace if I need to down the road.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back