The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Closest equivelant to a 16g in garret/other format (looking t3 flange)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Well, since the joy of AWD has come into my life i'm honesing more and more daily to get a 16g (prefer a big or e-III but even a small wouldbe ok) because i want to play with the fast spooling wide powerband torque now that tractionis something i'm familiar with again.

Thing is as broke as i am i have two choices.. and a fewthings making this not adirect swap... I can make a down pipe easy, and i have a 2g manifold some where, but for now i have the T3 manifold on my car and would like to keep it f possible.. but aside for the ty/cy 17c/20g models there's no MHI's with t3 flange patterns that i know of so here are my options as of now

A.) buy a new 16g on the store credit i have

B.) Find a blown 16g and rebuild it (what i really want to do honestly)

then there's the often forgotten "C" find something in a garret or with a t3 flange that's equall to a 16g in spool, airflow and most other aspects (if there's such a thing)

Does anyone (maily pointed at you justin LOL) know of a garrett or similar t3 flanged turbo that's able to match the 16g in airflow and spool? (again looking for something i can pick up blwon and rebuild or pick up cheap in general)

hell i'd even step back to an old 50 trim but there's somethin about the 16g (maybe the 16 drag thread and the outstanding results somehave had) that makes me want to play with the MHI unti and test my brain and skills at pullingthe most i can out of it (not to mention there's nothing like a nice WIDE powerband for DD use in traffic).. I think i could have a LOT of fun with a E-3 16g, SMIM, a shot of laughing gas and some other goodies.

I'm open to suggestions and if anyone has a blown 16g or similar (not wanting a 14b though) PM me or let me know if you want to get rid of it for trade or cash

since looking for blown you already probably know i'm on a tight budget but i do have a lot of tradable stuff. I have a great MSD- DIS -II, my rims and slicks from when i was FWD, ranome gauges and other stuff as well as being able to fab you up some nice cool stuff to trade too if interested...oooh also have 1/8th nitro muggy truck complete with radio and gear and a 1/4 scale baja buggy that's off the charts with cool parts and custom pieces, 2 speed trans, reed inducted inegine and more

not wanting this to turn into a WTB/FS add so sorry to mention wanting one and having tradable stuff, i mainly just looking to see what'sout there i might be able to chase aside from a 16g

i'd like to trade my DIS-2 for a hx-35 honestly that would be AWESOME case i could sell my pt67 then :D

You can use the T3 10cm td05 housing on any td05 turbo. So if you want to stick with a 16g, then it would be your cheapest and easiest route.

The 50-trim or HX-35 would be excellent options, but will spool a bit slower than the 16g. A 20g would be excellent as well.

A 30r would match your criteria as well, except for price.

Justin does happen to have a couple 16g's rebuilt sitting at his place..

As Paul said a 30r would be sweet..And the quick spool, flow and power level would definatly match an 16g..But if price is an issue, then that's a no go..

You could also go with a 20g as mentioned before also...

well, after having over 100 wrapped up in this ball bearing pt67 i'd rahter stick to cheap (preferably something i can rebuld) and just for the kicks of it i really want to stick with a real 16g if possible. this isn't about a turbo upgrade or change so much as it is just wanting to play with the turbo that i started with on my DSM and that others are still doing great things with. just wanna see what i can do..

and while its on there i'll probably sell the pte6776RS for anhX-35. it's just hard to sell the turbo that you're depending on to get to jobs to make money, and inmy case physical therapy, doctors and pharmacies.

I just wanted to keep the T3 flange to make the swap easy, but come to think of it, it's a loteasier to pull my manifold and turbo as one and replace them with another turbo/manifold combo so ill probablly just dig up the old stock 2g manifold for when i find a 16g

I guess it's more about going back to less and seeing what i can do, i definitely DON't want to buy new since htere's other stuff i "need" and the 16g is just a "want" (plus i could get my hx-35 for the price of a new 16g and some extras to boot, but i can't find a hx-35 new for those prices or i'd already have one since i have the money i can spend in online stores, i just can't pay privatre people with it :( )

ANNNNND.. not to copy Paul, but if i get a 16g, i MIGHT have to play with compounding the little bugger into the PT67 if i got bored and had some pipe but i doubt i'd go that far.. hell even a bastard 20g would be fun to play with. I'm not trying to compete for 16g records or anything. I just want to put something small on there, run the guts out of it and see what i can do;. I want a powerband that's as flat as a white girls ass from 3500 to 7500 RPM LOL

Ideal setup.

RVR Hyper Sports 16G (Evo III w/ downfiring cover):

attachment.php

....in a T3-flanged 10cm TD05H turbine housing:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good luck finding one of those compressor covers, though. LOL

Compressor cover don't matter too much since i can weld/machine/fab about anything i need, but that exhaust housing is looking tasty.. if you've got used/blown 16g to sell hit me up (i know you probably don't like doing that though so sorry if i'm asking for something you prefer not to do) or if you've got a decent large 16g in good shape, PM me a price. no hagglinghere just wondering what you might want

Just shop for a blown Evo III 16G and we'll talk about the housing later. I have Evo III cores here but I had to look long and hard to find them- I don't just want to turn around and part with any of them cheaply....especially with the recent price increase on new Evo III 16G's.

Well, like i said i have a mitsu exhaust manifold so the housing isn't a deal maker/breaker, just trying to not make this a "where's waldo adventure" hoping some one will pop up with a used/blown or rebuilt 15g either b16g or evo 3 ( i don't care which) and make an offer

You interested in any trades, i got them rims with slicks on them for a mitsu

And i gues to be honet if i'mgoing to spend any "real money" i might as well get the hx or hy -35 i've been wanting, like i said the 16g thing is just for fun to toy around and see what i can do

Hy35?

Should spool a bit faster than an HX35 with it's T3 9cm^2 housing. And since there are multiple compressor covers for it, you have your choice of a downfiring or integrated 90*

Down-firing

90° Elbow

Odd ball housing I've only seen once, but says Holset on the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thems purdy^^ I'll take all 3 please :D

I was planning on running a HY35 until I got hell-bent on running a HE351ve.

hmmm... you dont' happen to have an hx or hy you purchased befor you chenged your mind that you'd want tosell me do ya :D/????

I just threw together a big 16g in a 10cm t3 housing that my friend will be using in his turbo probe set up.

I got my hx35 for $230 shipped on eBay in great condition. They pop up about once a week.

Yea, my issue is i've got bills taller than a 2g eclipse OME wing and add the holidays and i have no cash to spend on ebay but i have store credit type moeny that i can buy new tuff with, i just don't want a NEW 16g since i want to play with it only, and i'd love an HX35 but i'd ave to buy from an online store and not from a private seller on ebay :(

dealing with a fairly resh dissability, no money and stacks of bills from when i made good money all during the holidays makes a metal jacketed slug sandwich seem like something that would actually solve some probems, fortunately i know it won't LOL

All i can do is what work i can bring into my home based shop now since construction could paralyze me with a simple fall (and my doctors said if i kept at it they's stop treating me because it was too self destructive, but unlikethem i don't have amedical degree to fall back on )

So unless i can trade fab work, parts ihave or do some work for a client/customer and have something extra when the bills are paid i'm phuckered

Holset HE351/HY35 56K beware - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
PHPix: Holset turbo/New style internals

The non variable geometry HE351 and HE341 are the successors to the HY35. A friend of mine got a nearly new HE351 for $100.

Weren't the original 20g's off of the Fuso trucks T3 flanged? Old school :cool:

Could you spend those funds at Goldfarb?

http://www.goldfarb-associates.com/goldfarb_turbochargers.htm

0_0 S400, HX52... HE551V Adios x-mas monies.

Hope things turn around for you, you are a helpful member of the community. Maybe you could go (back?) to school and live off loans for a bit? Seems to work for my friends. Good luck.

To the OP:
I've got a Greddy 18G here with ZERO shaft play, that came with a T3 hotside. Make me a good offer and it's yours! :)

PM sent

Holset HE351/HY35 56K beware - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
PHPix: Holset turbo/New style internals

The non variable geometry HE351 and HE341 are the successors to the HY35. A friend of mine got a nearly new HE351 for $100.

Weren't the original 20g's off of the Fuso trucks T3 flanged? Old school :cool:

not sure butthe 20g and 17c from the cyclone/typhoon were t3 flanged )not sure the 17c came on them but i know it comes t3 flanged for some application in a regular car)

justyards here will all say "we don't have turbos" "we core all turbos, not for sale" and when i worked n that business years ago I KNOW they all have boxes of them for core or they are all on the engines they go to on the shelf...c0cksu(kers!!!!!!!!!

hmmm... you dont' happen to have an hx or hy you purchased befor you chenged your mind that you'd want tosell me do ya :D/????

Nope. I changed my mind before buying the turbo.

The HE351 has a HX40 comp wheel mated to a HY35 turbine wheel in a 9cm housing. I'd think that 9cm housing would be a choking point for the HX40 comp wheel, but who knows.

So could yoi use the he351compressor wheel and turbone wheel with a hx40 compressor cover and 35 exhaust housing? A little off topic sorry about that. To the op, if all you want to do is play with the 16g and your capable of rebuilding theem why dont you just get a knock off 16g to mess with? just a idea

Glenn, check out the cummins forum. I picked up my perfect HY35 for $125. It is hands down the best turbo I have ever ran on my car. I see full boost by 4200, probably a little earlier if I tried to tune for spool. It pulls great to 8500. Its great around town, as it will boost driving easy if you want.

I have a knock off china 16g thats in bad shape I'll give you if you pay for shipping. No hot side tho, kept that for my 14b.

So could yoi use the he351compressor wheel and turbone wheel with a hx40 compressor cover and 35 exhaust housing?
Nope, not at all.

The HX40 cover won't fit the HE341/351 center housing, and the HY35/HE341/HE351 turbine wheel and center housing will only fit into turbine housings designed to fit those turbos. You can't mix-n-match housings or turbine wheels between H1/HX turbos and HE/HY turbos.

Well, since the joy of AWD has come into my life i'm honesing more and more daily to get a 16g (prefer a big or e-III but even a small wouldbe ok) because i want to play with the fast spooling wide powerband torque now that tractionis something i'm familiar with again.

Thing is as broke as i am i have two choices.. and a fewthings making this not adirect swap... I can make a down pipe easy, and i have a 2g manifold some where, but for now i have the T3 manifold on my car and would like to keep it f possible.. but aside for the ty/cy 17c/20g models there's no MHI's with t3 flange patterns that i know of so here are my options as of now

A.) buy a new 16g on the store credit i have

B.) Find a blown 16g and rebuild it (what i really want to do honestly)

then there's the often forgotten "C" find something in a garret or with a t3 flange that's equall to a 16g in spool, airflow and most other aspects (if there's such a thing)

Does anyone (maily pointed at you justin LOL) know of a garrett or similar t3 flanged turbo that's able to match the 16g in airflow and spool? (again looking for something i can pick up blwon and rebuild or pick up cheap in general)

hell i'd even step back to an old 50 trim but there's somethin about the 16g (maybe the 16 drag thread and the outstanding results somehave had) that makes me want to play with the MHI unti and test my brain and skills at pullingthe most i can out of it (not to mention there's nothing like a nice WIDE powerband for DD use in traffic).. I think i could have a LOT of fun with a E-3 16g, SMIM, a shot of laughing gas and some other goodies.

I'm open to suggestions and if anyone has a blown 16g or similar (not wanting a 14b though) PM me or let me know if you want to get rid of it for trade or cash

since looking for blown you already probably know i'm on a tight budget but i do have a lot of tradable stuff. I have a great MSD- DIS -II, my rims and slicks from when i was FWD, ranome gauges and other stuff as well as being able to fab you up some nice cool stuff to trade too if interested...oooh also have 1/8th nitro muggy truck complete with radio and gear and a 1/4 scale baja buggy that's off the charts with cool parts and custom pieces, 2 speed trans, reed inducted inegine and more

not wanting this to turn into a WTB/FS add so sorry to mention wanting one and having tradable stuff, i mainly just looking to see what'sout there i might be able to chase aside from a 16g

i'd like to trade my DIS-2 for a hx-35 honestly that would be AWESOME case i could sell my pt67 then :D

GT2868r HTA (if you can get it in a t3 hotside)

If not, GT3052r (GT30r)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back