The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Closed throttle position switch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyder4g64

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
Wallingford, Connecticut
Anyone know where I can get a closed throttle position switch besides the junk yard and the dealership?

Mitsubushiparts.com wants $86, which is absolutely absurd for a single ground sensor. This must be including the TPS as well, I'm guessing, but that's what came up for the Mitsubishi Part Number MD614216 which is going around as the replacement part number.

I've tried Napa, Autozone, Advance, and CarQuest and they all look at me like I am speaking Latin. Even tried closed throttle position sensor, idle switch, closed idle switch, 1g, 2ga, and 2gb years, and still cant find it.

They're basically useless, I might have one somewhere I can send you....

What do you need it for? All it does is cause rolling fuel cut.

According to ASA it looks like the TPS and Idle Switch are a "switch kit" that can only be bought together. Hit junk yards and classifieds.

The closed TPS is needed for idle control and rolling fuel cut.

To me, it's important.

I saw that Idle Switch Kit, but I am not paying for a new TPS, I don't need it.

I'm gonna try the graveyards and see what I can find.

It looks like he may have a 1g throttle body, in which he would need that idle switch to keep the throttle from sticking.

A bolt adjusted to the correct length would do the same thing.

I am using a 1G throttle body with a 2G TPS, rewired.

If the TPS is off by 1%, the closed idle switch will not operate properly.

I ran a wire to the idle switch pin on the ecu, so it will operate independently.

I couldn't find any bolts to thread in either. Like snowborder714 mentioned, the threads are too fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
if your just going to use a screw in its place just retap it to what ever thread you want.

Its just an on/off switch. Get in digikey and find something that will work. The Shack probably has something too. you might need to tap the throttle body so that it will work. You could always make a small bracket to hold it if needed.

Go to a you-pull-it, they are on about any Mitsu from our years along with the Hyundais.

I am using a 1G throttle body with a 2G TPS, rewired.

If the TPS is off by 1%, the closed idle switch will not operate properly.

When using a 2G TPS if the IPS isn't operating properly the TPS isn't adjusted correctly. Setting the internal IPS switching point is the adjustment.

If your trying to use a 2G TPS with a 1G style ECU and you find that the TPS voltage is much lower or much higher than the ~0.5v that a stock ECU is looking for when the IPS is switching properly you have to make a decision if it's going to be a problem.

When using a 2G TPS if the IPS isn't operating properly the TPS isn't adjusted correctly. Setting the internal IPS switching point is the adjustment.

If your trying to use a 2G TPS with a 1G style ECU and you find that the TPS voltage is much lower or much higher than the ~0.5v that a stock ECU is looking for when the IPS is switching properly you have to make a decision if it's going to be a problem.

1G TB, 2G TPS with the Closed Idle Position switch wire cut, Closed Throttle Position switch wired to the ECU pin for the "built in" one, and a 2G 95 ECU.

1G TB, 2G TPS with the Closed Idle Position switch wire cut, Closed Throttle Position switch wired to the ECU pin for the "built in" one, and a 2G 95 ECU.

The 2G ECU already expects that the IPS switch point is more critical than the TPS voltage at idle. The only thing you need the 1G IPS for in that case is as a throttle stop.

1G TB on a 2G car using the 2G TPS gets adjusted just like when it's on the 2G TB.
Feeler gauge between the pulley and 1G IPS, set the 2G IPS switching point, remove feeler gauge and verify 2G IPS switching.

The 2G ECU already expects that the IPS switch point is more critical than the TPS voltage at idle. The only thing you need the 1G IPS for in that case is as a throttle stop.

1G TB on a 2G car using the 2G TPS gets adjusted just like when it's on the 2G TB.
Feeler gauge between the pulley and 1G IPS, set the 2G IPS switching point, remove feeler gauge and verify 2G IPS switching.

If its more critical, than why as just a throttle stop?

Pull the spade off of your IPS and see how your car runs. Now put it back on and see again.. Why wouldnt I just use the real part, and make the system work as it was intended to?

I am using a 3-wire 2G TPS, which has no IPS "built in".

I dont mean to be rude, but I simply asked for a location to find one, not a run-down on how the system works. as I am already very familiar with it.

I dont mean to be rude, but I simply asked for a location to find one, not a run-down on how the system works. as I am already very familiar with it.
I don't mean to be rude but if you were familiar with it you'd know there is no such thing as a (3) pin 2g TPS. Steve was just trying to add some insight and give you other options since it seems like you're having a hard time finding a 1g IPS.

:dsm:

For my education, which Mitsubishi powered 2G DSM uses the 3 wire IPS?

The D32A, D33A, D38A, and early D39A use MD614662 except for the 98/99 2.4L Spyder (late D39A) which uses the MD614772 and that still looks like a 4 wire TPS with integral IPS. Since I don't have the 98/99 Eclipse Spyder FSM I'd like to know if that's not the case.

The 3-wire TPS I am using is from the 4G64 originally equipped in my car. It is a 98 Spyder GS. Although I am using a 95 turbo ecu, the plug on the harness side also only has 3 wires as the harness is for a 4g64. So my point is that the gs spyders use an external closed throttle position switch with the 4g64, making it 1G style.

I have the FSM as well. I looked briefly but couldnt find the TPS anywhere in it.

For my education, which Mitsubishi powered 2G DSM uses the 3 wire IPS?

Possibly a spelling error, but just to be clear...
3-Wire TPS. Not IPS. I clearly know the IPS is a single spade, on/off type switch.

Last edited:
Heres a 2.4l N/T wiring diagram of the TPS (A-63) connector, a 4 pin connector, which has a wire coming from pin (3) going to ECU pin 87 (closed throttle position switch).

I can't find any evidence of there actually being a 3 pin 2g TPS, sorry I can't help you Spyder4g64.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That really is interesting. What year is that referring to? 1998?

If that is the case, then I do not understand which wire I used to have running to the IPS, which was in fact a single wire. DSMLink proved it was the correct wire.

The only reason I ran it strait to pin 87 is because the wire frayed right at the "thick part" of the harness and I couldnt get a soldering gun in there..

My logs show all values for the TPS to be within spec, and I am using a 3-pin TPS, but could it be from a 1G? Hmmm..

Why would I have a single wire coming from the part of the harness exactly behind the TB, which read in DSMLink as the IPS wire, but meanwhile I have a 4-wire TPS sending the same signal?

Im actually glad this came up, I wanna find out the answer to this.

In the morning I am going to check continuity through the wire I speak of and see if it does in fact lead to pin 87. If it does, then maybe the '64 uses both a 4-wire and an external IPS?

In ASA the MD614772 TPS was used on N/T Sypders between April '97 to June '99, I believe. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I looked it up last night and I believe those were the dates...

The EL I have is '97-'99 and I couldn't find different diagrams for the '98-'99 2.4l. Something isn't adding up here, I'd like to find out for sure too, I would think you chasing wires or someone for sure getting a MD614772 to confirm its a 3 pin is the only way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back