The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Clogged heater core?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Pandolph

Proven Member
Apr 2, 2021
Townsend, Massachusetts
Just recently restored my 1990 Talon TSI AWD to drivable condition. Have no heat at vents, but both heater core hoses are hot. This car sat for 20 years before I purchased it. I'm thinking the core is clogged. Plan is to pressure wash with hose attached and alternate direction after like 30 minutes. It did have heat when I initially started the car and burped the coolant.

Just recently restored my 1990 Talon TSI AWD to drivable condition. Have no heat at vents, but both heater core hoses are hot. This car sat for 20 years before I purchased it. I'm thinking the core is clogged. Plan is to pressure wash with hose attached and alternate direction after like 30 minutes. It did have heat when I initially started the car and burped the coolant.
Flush it in both directions. If both hoses are hot, that means there’s flow. You should check both hoses while it’s warming up. If they get hot at the same time, it’s not flow. Possibly the blend door is stuck.

Buy a container of Evaporust and cycle it through the heater core, let it sit in the core overnight and then flush with distilled water.

You can use compressed air to blow through the heater core also. Just connect a line to a empty jug/container and blow air through the opposite line. Beware depending on how much psi you have blowing through, the clog may blow out in force and potentially make a mess if your jug/container setup isn’t good enough.
Then flush with distilled water to get the remaining junk out. Hopefully it lets loose. But as others said check the blend door first before you open up the coolant system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back