1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Cleaning your 55 Gal Drum

Posted by Zufelt, Jan 16, 2014

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Zufelt

Zufelt Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2012
    Lemoore, California
    Hopefully this is the right sub section.. Well I purchased a 55 Gal drum which had methanol in it but had been sitting for some time.. I see what looks like gunk inside the barrel, and was curious the best way Togo about cleanin it so I can then use it for my e85. Should I use some kind of filter prior to fillin the car as well? Let me know how you clean yours!!

Zufelt

534  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proven Member

Joined Nov 18, 2002
    Eureka, Missouri
    Just use a heavy duty solvent. Even gasoline itself works well.

Seamus

574  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  3. codym

codym Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Send a little kid in there with a bottle of Dawn and a washcloth.

893  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. fun kart kid

fun kart kid Proven Member

Joined Sep 8, 2008
    bedford, Pennsylvania
    Does this "gunk" coat the entire drum? Be aware that most fuel drums have a coating on the inside to keep them from forming rust that would contaminate the fuel.

451  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.569 @ 120.550 · Galant VR-4