The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Cleaning, greasing and re-booting CV axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird_43

Probationary Member
Mar 21, 2009
fortville, Indiana
Owner of a 91 TSI AWD, 2-2g's and have been "Trolling" these forums for a few years and have always found this site to be the best! This car has 150K on the clock and is pretty much stock, with the exceptions of wheels, stereo and a HKS BOV. It still has factory air (R-12) keeping me cool, fun car to drive. Currently rebuilding the front drive train, front suspension front hubs and of course brakes. I'm considering just cleaning, and re-booting the CV axle, and avoiding the hi cost of a new one, and dont want to put chinese parts on the car. Thoughts?

If the boots haven’t yet failed then the joints may be fine. Replacing the boots could keep them in good order for some time. Getting the right boots, clamps, and grease is obviously key. Looks like RTM offers them. Maybe others as well. It makes sense that the joint can outlast the boot, especially since boots may deteriorate partially just from age.
Worth a try if the joints aren’t showing other symptoms (clicking, knocking).

Last edited:
I have always re-booted CV axles unless there is damage or excessive wear to the joints. Factory re-booted axles are way better than the garbage replacement axles that are sold now. You may have to buy a couple special tools to do the clamps on the boots if you don't have them. If you have to get new axles I have found NAPA seems to have the best ones.

I re-booted one of my front axles' outer joint. I tried doing both front axles but I couldn't get one of the outer cups to separate from the shaft. I think I spent over a full day pounding, prying, heating, freezing, made a custom clamp to use with a gear puller, and even rented a beefy slide hammer but all failed miserably. The other one came apart in like 5 minutes. Both were NAPA axles I installed over 15 years ago. I ended up buying a cheap one from Autozone, fully expecting to give them my old axle as core. They said they no longer do core charges on axles.

I've purchased rebuilt front ones from CVJ in Denver. They only take OEM cores, and sell rebuilt OEM units. Been happy with those. My boots had sheared, and the joints were junk when I returned them. I presume they got new bearings and what not and are now serving some new owner just fine. Maybe someone reading this post.

If the boots haven’t yet failed then the joints may be fine. Replacing the boots could keep them in good order for some time. Getting the right boots, clamps, and grease is obviously key. Looks like RTM offers them. Maybe others as well. It makes sense that the joint can outlast the boot, especially since boots may deteriorate partially just from age.
Worth a try if the joints aren’t showing other symptoms (clicking,

Worth a try if the joints aren’t showing other symptoms (clicking, knocking).
Thanks for the feedback! Yea got into struts, ball joints and front hubs. Figured better get the cv axle while in there.. I'll just clean regresse thren reboot and get it back on the road. It's been up on blocks too long!

I have always re-booted CV axles unless there is damage or excessive wear to the joints. Factory re-booted axles are way better than the garbage replacement axles that are sold now. You may have to buy a couple special tools to do the clamps on the boots if you don't have them. If you have to get new axles I have found NAPA seems to have the best ones.
Thanks for the feedback! The Cv axle is in decent shape no issues with cv joint. I'll save some money and clean and reboot the OEM axle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back