The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Classic car license plates?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin4Ever

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2005
Moses Lake, Washington
So I have seen people talking about getting classic car tabs on their DSM's. Sounds nice but I also noticed it says not to use the car lfor normal transportation, it's supposed to be for like show cars only.

Anyone using those plates and driving the car frequently without the cops giving them a hard time?

I have to say not paying for tabs ever again sounds nice; but if they see you driving around town in a DSM which is now a rare car and it really stands out to the cops, if you are getting groceries in the car, would they make you go back to the regular plates?

I don’t think law enforcement would care your dsm has classic plates. If you have classic car insurance, insurance companies do not want you to daily your ride. I believe the classic plates allows you to be non compliant when it come to vehicle inspection if your state requires an inspection. You’ll be fine w classic plates :thumb: but I’m sure the law varies state to state with all this.

Minnesota has a 20 year rule for collector plates, with a (IIRC) a 6,000 mile a year quota. We have collector plates on our '92 Chevy pickup and have never had a problem.

OP: The fact that your car is not that common may make a stronger case for having those plates. Unless you stand our to local LE for other reasons, or driving habits, you will probably be just fine.

I run Ohio Historical plates on my 92 and Collector plates on my 96. I have never had an issue with driving my cars including occasionally to work for the day or out on a weekday night. Ohio does also require you have another vehicle registered and titled in your name.

To own a historical or authentic license plate in Michigan a car has to be 26+ years old, owned as a collector's item, and only used in shows, club events, and parades. It can't be used for daily driving except in the month of August.

We don't have emissions testing or vehicle inspections in Michigan either.

I found out here in Washington State that the car has to be 30 years old so I still have a few more years to go. I think it used to be 25 but they pushed it out further to snub the import owners :) And it's only supposed to be for show cars basically.

I run this as an "Antique" tag in Kansas on my 1967 Camaro. It had to be from my county and the year of the car but I can drive as much as I want or as little as I want. Maybe its because in Kansas, after 35 years, all vehicles are considered "antique" and you can tag them and pay minimal fees each year. Not that I drive that car much, but they don't limit me to miles (or smiles) :)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I have seen people talking about getting classic car tabs on their DSM's. Sounds nice but I also noticed it says not to use the car lfor normal transportation, it's supposed to be for like show cars only.

Anyone using those plates and driving the car frequently without the cops giving them a hard time?

I have to say not paying for tabs ever again sounds nice; but if they see you driving around town in a DSM which is now a rare car and it really stands out to the cops, if you are getting groceries in the car, would they make you go back to the regular plates?

Communist Iowa:
No emissions testing - 75% of IA driven vehicles would fail.
Rear AND front <sigh> tags required.
Antique vehicle license plates are available for vehicles that are:
  • At least 25 years old.
    AND
  • Driven ONLY for display or events, such as car shows.

I’m jealous of you guys. Colorado got rid of the 25 year rule a while back so the DSM can NEVER get those plates now. Pisses me off cause I was looking forward to no emissions and renewing tags every five years.

Now only cars 1975 and older can get the collector plates.

Front tags are not required here in AL.

I used to have a custom front tag on my Eclipse, but it was literally less than a week before I took it back off due to realizing how ugly it was...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^By the way, that pic is pretty old...

AND we have to have front plates. Been pulled over for it (got a warning), but in another car I got a $75 ticket for it from the city. State is turning into California Junior.

There are emissions testing in Georgia, but only in Atlanta as far as I know and that is why a lot of people live outside of Atlanta so they dont have to do emissions testing. Ill look into the classic/antique tags.

It doesnt look like there is any benefit to having a classic tag though unless there is something other than the Hobby Antique plate and costs more than double per year to have one. It looks like its just a specialty tag. Needs to be a passenger car, truck under 14,000lbs or a motorcycle and is made to look like or is 25 years old. The fees looks like what gets you, 80 dollar initial cost plus ad valorem tax if applicable, 55 dollar cost to renew annually plus applicable ad valorem tax. So its 35 dollars more per year in Georgia to have the plate than to just have a regular one. I pay like 42 dollars a year for both my car and my motorcycle.

If there is something other than that, which I cant find, its not worth the tag. I cant find a classic tag, or just a regular antique tag. It also looks like the insurance companies limit the miles you are allowed on the car per year. I am sure there is a way to bypass it like undoing the speedometer and using GPS to tell you your speed.

Not in Georgia. From what I have found it costs more per year for Hobby Antique which requires to be a car, truck under 14000 pounds or a motorcycle, and it either has to 25 years or older or made to look like it. Its 55 dollars per year because its a specialty tag while a regular renewal is 20 bucks. Then depending on the insurance, you cant drive it but so many miles a year.

So really there is no perk other than a flex at like car shows which is dying out around here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back