The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

General Clamp on Wideband Bungs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
I don't know if anyone has tried these, but we had one that came in my sons Sniper EFI Kit from Holley and I thought I should at least mention them on here in case they were needed in a pinch. Holley makes clamp on bungs for 2.25, 2.5 and 3" pipes. The kit is a plate with a O2 bung on it with a gasket that clamps around the pipe and makes a place for your Wideband. The Holley setup uses the same basic stuff we use on our DSM's to function and its computer is built right into the EFI unit. As a BONUS, it is Self Learning so we can't wait to get it all on and start her up, BUT, back to the bung. You can see them HERE. I am looking at one to go on my stock GSX so I can get a better grasp of the tune on it (it has ECMLink). The bung mounting can be seen on THIS YouTube video, about half way through, or watch it all and see how cool it is if you run the complete setup, allowing additional tuning to timing and fuel ratios. These are for Domestic cars but wouldn't it be neat if they would come up with something that would suit our needs?
I just thought it was a neat option that hadn't been mentioned on here so I am just introducing this product, so we are aware it exists. :thumb:
Of course, you can always remove it later and weld a bung in at that spot, so it isn't permanent if you don't want it to be.
Marty

That is definitely interesting.
I would think that someone would catch flak for using that in automotive circles, though.. "why didn't y'all just weld it?" being the most popular question to be posed.
I guess I don't see the long term need for the product. Maybe for prototyping but by then you have already drilled the hole..

So I guess the only question I have is what problem did this product solve?

Not getting on your case :) Perhaps my ol grey wrinkles are smoother than most in this case.

It's cool Curt, no issues. The deal being that MOST domestic old school dudes don't know ahit about "Widebands", TPS's, MAP sensors etc, so Holley sends this in their EFI KIT because the built in ECU has to see the fuel ratios. Old school guys, for the most part, just slap on random carb, assume it has the correct jets for a correct air fuel ratio and they wouldn't have any idea where or how to mount a "bung, WTF is that?". So this part comes so you can put it in your existing exhaust on a car that never ran a O2 sensor. Welding, like I said in the end, is the permanent solution to needing a WB signal but Holley made this to make their kit install "easy" :)
It was never meant for our cars but if you would want to keep the original (I dont but I can't get the dam original O2 sensor out) you can place a WB downstream and have an idea what your engine is running AF wise.
It is a major upgrade for the car it is going on (but our bung is in the header collector tube) to run fuel injection instead of a old school carb and HEI ignition system. Holley even made the EFI unit kinda look like an old school carb. We mod everything here and I don't just mess with DSM's, I fool around with all kinds of stuff :thumb:
Marty

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That makes more sense now, Marty, thanks for explaining. I now see there is a benefit to it. I was looking at it strictly from a long-term point of view where the majority of us (if not all of us) wouldn't be caught without a WB for any particular stretch of time but these cars of ours are a different breed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back