The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

China/eBay 7cm td05 turbine housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, there's a seller on eBay that is selling the China 7cm turbine housings for td05 turbos. I had initially bought one for my compound set-up a couple years ago. And I was very happy with it. Quality and fit were spot on, and the price was great too.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I bought another one for the 14b on my DD. I made an offer of about $13 less than the eBay auction was for, and they accepted. I received the turbine housing about a week later, and it was a completely different experience than the first one.

This housing had several casting flaws - the largest being inside the volute. Poor machining and rough cast on the O2 housing flange. And, worst of all, the inlet and bolt pattern are horribly flawed. This housings isn't even usable if I were able to get past the basic flaws.

PICS:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Large casting flaws inside the volute:

Rough cast on the O2 housing flange:

Here's a shot of a new OEM 7cm gasket bolted up to this housing. Not only do the bolt holes not even line up, but the inlet is horribly off center:

My take - These don't all suck, because I have already received a good one from the same seller in the past. So, it's a gamble at best. Although, I must also mention that during the transit time, I received 2 e-mails from this company stating their "Warranty & Guarantee". Kind of ironic that they emphasize warranty so heavily when I receive the defective housing, but there was no mention of it at all the first time around when I received the good one. It almost makes me wonder if they purposefully sent me a 'blem' or blemished housing in hopes that I wouldn't notice. In either event, I'll be requesting a full refund for this hunk of junk.

Auction Details: The eBay seller goes by the name "carbon_innovation" out of California. The title for the auction is consistently "DSM ECLIPSE 16G TD05H 7MC2 TURBINE HOUSING TURBO".

Last edited by a moderator:
That's BAD, Paul. I've yet to see one that bad with casting flaws and misaligned inlets- even on used Chinese Evo III's that customers have sent for repair. Makes me wonder if that seller deals only with the blem housings that the builders in China turn away?

Regardless, these housings *can* be made good. Through proper porting they can be just as functional as a MHI housing at 1/3rd the new price. I've not seen any damage as a result of use unless the EGT's get very high, in which event the area around the turbine wheel can erode- but this can happen on pretty much any housing, it's not something that effects only the Chinese castings.

It's still a great, inexpensive upgrade for 14B users with damaged 6cm turbine housings....as long as they don't get one like yours. LOL

This housing is for all tdo5 turbos..

I bought it because I needed a new turbine housing for my 16g..And for the price of 91$ shipped, I thought you really can't go wrong..

The picture of the housing when I ordered looked perfect..

The housing when I opened the box looked pretty good..The casting flaws were very minimal..And the casting looked 9/10..

Then I started looking at the bolt holes on the o2 side and on the top where it bolts to the manifold..

And just from the naked eye I could obviously see the holes were not correct..

I was going to try and put an o2 housing on..But the holes looked bad enough, that I didn't need to...

I did see Pauls review before I ordered it, and again thought for 91 shipped, I'll take a chance..

Now what I did not notice untill writing this review..Is that the place I ordered from, and the place Paul ordered from are not the same company..

The place of beisness I ordered from was Fat Boy Inc, in El Monte CA..

Buyer beware on any of the ebay sellers for this housing..If you need it on you car right away..This is not for you..I wil update after I email the seller and find out about returning the housing for a hopefully correct one..

Pictures Don't do the housing justice..It really looks good, besides the bolt holes..

Attachments

• DSC00638.jpg
    DSC00638.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC00637.jpg
    DSC00637.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC00636.jpg
    DSC00636.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC00635.jpg
    DSC00635.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC00634.jpg
    DSC00634.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC00633.jpg
    DSC00633.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC00632.jpg
    DSC00632.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 494
Update..

Talked to the seller..He said all the peices he had in the warehouse were all wrong as well..

He claims he talked to the manufacturer..And they said it was a screw up with the machine that drills the holes..

I sounded like it was the same machine that took the housing out of the mold, and drilled the holes..

The manufacturer has to retool the machine or mold..And it's going to take 4+ weeks to get it all squared away..

I'm going to wait it out..And order the housing again when the kinks are all worked out.. Will post back with results when the new peices are in..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back