The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Check out my Hotwires!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why would you go with such a cheap brand of plugs if you have almost 8,000 dollars into your engine? Why not just have the extra benefit from a COP setup?
Ahem... may I?
There are many things on the 4G63 engine that were done right. It's an under-tuned engine that has lasted for decades because of the potential built into it by Mitsubishi. One of the components they over built is the ignition system. Little or nothing has to be done to improve on what already exists. Cheap NGK plugs and OEM wires will get you to 500+ HP. COP setups are cool. :cool:

Well I highly doubt I gained 10hp from these wires.....if any. Bottom line is that the car runs great and personally feels better then just replacing with a new set of ngks. So if you have the extra cash I would recommend these to everyone... On the other hand a before/after dyno test would of been interesting though. Oh yea I should have a timing belt cover within the next week.

I was searching posts over on the DSMlink forums on another topic and came across this post by one of the many serious tuners over there:
"Stock wires. Get them cheap at any junkyard. I've seen 180k/mi old stock wires make >700whp without so much as a hiccup. Doesn't get much better than that.
I've run MSD and Magnecore wires -- they have always been nothing but problems and headaches for myself and most every car I've seen them on."

Poster's site: http://www.redacresracing.com/
I don't think I'll be using junkyard wires but I'm not going to spend a day's pay on a set of wires either.

Because that's where the magical shrouding ends and leads off to the ground terminal. Somehow, the tricity promises it'll be good for the quarter-length of the un-shrouded part of the wire and not get into any mischief. Just like wires with no shrouds at all seem to be able to behave themselves.... since 1936.

that's not correct, there's only a short length that's wider... within the wider section, there's a cylindrical capacitor wrapped around the core... clever design IMO

Even though it might sound like I condone the use of these wires... I believe they're a waste of time

Callaway tested more horsepower but I have a funny feeling they have a financial connection with Nology (there's a pretty cool video to watch). They seemed a little too enthused in the video.

I've seen dyno charts on a couple engines showing horsepower loss and ignition problems... but like I said before it might have been a bad set or something else... IIRC the users believed the capacitors were screwing with the ECU

I'm not saying that the Nology wires are a bad product, just that they might screw with the ECU on other applications. Almost all the people I've read feedback from have had a positive experience with them. They look to be well made.

If it matters to anyone, the Nology Silverstone plugs are their best product (IMO)... but they're just re-labled Beru Silver or Bosch Silber... I don't really remember which one

Never would i spend that much on wires.

I don't think I'll be using junkyard wires but I'm not going to spend a day's pay on a set of wires either.

I feel where you guys are coming from..$170 for sparkplug wires is kinda crazy...but I wanted something different besides all of the NGKs, MSDs, and Magnecore's..I know they are all proven wires, but who said that these arent proven either? They're running great in my car haha...anyways I kinda like being the "black sheep" of the group.

IIRC the users believed the capacitors were screwing with the ECU

I'm not saying that the Nology wires are a bad product, just that they might screw with the ECU on other applications.

Not on this application..I have a 95 eprom with a Keydiver stage 3 chip and they seem to work well together....

Defiant: Are AutoZone wires of equal quality to the OEM Mitsubishi wires? I am also asking this in reference to post #33 by Toojung2die.

If your asking about the Bosch (sp?) wires then I would say No! I used them and went though like 10 sets. I would change my plugs with each oil change since it's cheap and takes 5min. I got a new set of Bosch wires when I first got the car, they had a no questions life time replacement deal with them so I figured what the hell.

EVERY TIME I went to take them off one of the boots would come off the wire. Soo jump in the other car take them in swap them for a new set and repeat. They did it EVERY TIME.

Got a set on NGK wires and I have never had that issue. And the car idled a bit smoother too.

I was kind of refering to the duralast brand but, I also wanted to know about the other "oem" brands. I also wanted to know how NGK stacked up (the wires that you get from extreme psi for instance). From what I remember, NGK made oem mitsubishi wires but, I am not sure how true that is.

Thanks for the info.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back