The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Check my pics, are these valves already toast? Cam gears not aligning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajangmyun

Probationary Member
Mar 10, 2007
Everett, Washington
Dsm woudnt start. After everything checked out i pulled the upper cover off and found this. Cam gears not aligning. I need everyones opinion that is knowledgable in this department. Please, if you know someone that knows about this, please have them check it out. Is there any reason to try and reset the timing belt, or are the valves already bent and the car wont start anyway. Is there any way that they are supposed to be like this. I found it odd that they are almost the same angle. I thought they were supposed to be 180 off each other so then they can alighn.( the marks) Are these valves already toast?
:dsm: :talon: :laser:

Remember each cam gear has two notches 180* apart from one another not just one. Looking at the angle it looks like they would line up.

just turn it till it lines up (dowel pins pointing up) then panic..

My best luck was to turn it over by hand till both dowel pins ( right above the bolt ) where facing up then get something small enough to stick into the timing slots and if they line up right then what ever you have that fits into the timing marks will fit good, if not it'll be rough to get it in or not in at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back