The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cheap options - 4x4/4WD/AWD Truck/SUV for towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrock5

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Around, Connecticut
Some of you may have read my thread where I am looking for an affordable pickup truck to pull a full size trailer. Look here:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/413291-smallest-truck-market-full-size-trailer-towing.html

My search continues btw.

Well now my brother caught the bug and he is looking for a SUV or truck (4x4, 4WD, AWD) to pull a full size trailer (car towing). His budget is $2000. This doesn't leave many options on the table, and he is aware of that, but that is his budget unfortunately.

He is looking for something in the mid/late-90s and up for years, meaning he doesn't want it to be TOO ugly.

I have given him some options like a Ford Expedition or F-150. I don't know if I am looking at all possible candidates though.

Does anybody have other candidates to fit his budget and requirements?

Thanks

The f150 is probably a no-go unless it has towing package and all the works.
He could score an early 90's f250 though pretty easily for that. They're great trucks and I dont think they look to bad.

Anything he finds is going to have lots of miles and some rust.

Here's some examples of trucks in my area that I would be considering if I were in his shoes.

1993 CHEVY 4X4 TRUCK
94 Chevy truck <----- Excellent option
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 2wd Police
1996 chevy silverado
*REDUCED* '98 Chevy Tahoe LT <----- Excellent option
http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/2547012858.html
http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/2617081918.html <----- Big Block power, Killer deal IMO
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2593911006.html

Last edited:
The f150 is probably a no-go unless it has towing package and all the works.
I'm sure they could manage installing a hitch and wiring in a break controller if any 1/2-ton needed it.

Not really. Deals are out there.
Almost everything that I found matched up perfectly with my rust/mileage prediction. I know deals are out there, but 99% of what falls into the "$2000 truck near CT" catagory will be heavily used and probably rusty. Although, that doesn't mean those types of vehicles wouldn't make for a great tow pig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure they could manage installing a hitch and wiring in a break controller if any 1/2-ton needed it.

I'm not speaking of just plain towing, just from experience I've seen the straight sixes / 4.6L f150's are not able to 'comfortably' pull so much weight (assuming you have a typical trailer / car combo). Now don't get me wrong, the 4.6L's and the 4.9L straight six are each amazing motors and I'd love to have one if I need a full-size truck, but I wouldn't pull a car and trailer with one if I could avoid it.
The 5.4L's would do alright though, but you don't find many those year f150's with the 5.4

Obviously you could throw a hitch and brake controller on a s10, doesn't mean its ready to pull a full trailer and vehicle.

I'm not speaking of just plain towing, just from experience I've seen the straight sixes / 4.6L f150's are not able to 'comfortably' pull so much weight (assuming you have a typical trailer / car combo). Now don't get me wrong, the 4.6L's and the 4.9L straight six are each amazing motors and I'd love to have one if I need a full-size truck, but I wouldn't pull a car and trailer with one if I could avoid it.
The 5.4L's would do alright though, but you don't find many those year f150's with the 5.4

Obviously you could throw a hitch and brake controller on a s10, doesn't mean its ready to pull a full trailer and vehicle.
My last post was only pointing out what a towing package really is. For most vehicles, a towing package means they're adding a couple things and not changing anything else.

Depending on the weight of the OPs car and trailer, I'd trust ANY V8 F150 to pull 4000 lbs just fine. He could get a 9th gen F150 (92-97) with a 5.0L or 5.8L or a 10th gen (97-04) with a 4.6L or 5.4L. A 1998 F150 with a 4.6L is rated to pull 6600-7000 lbs. That would pull a DSM on a flatbed trailer without any issues.

It's a common misconception in America that a guy needs a 3/4-ton or 1-ton and a deisel engine just to pull a 3000 lb. car on a trailer. The truth is if the engine has enough torque, the rear suspension is beefy enough, and the hitch is rated for it, TOW AWAY!

My last post was only pointing out what a towing package really is. For most vehicles, a towing package means they're adding a couple things and not changing anything else.

Depending on the weight of the OPs car and trailer, I'd trust ANY V8 F150 to pull 4000 lbs just fine. He could get a 9th gen F150 (92-97) with a 5.0L or 5.8L or a 10th gen (97-04) with a 4.6L or 5.4L. A 1998 F150 with a 4.6L is rated to pull 6600-7000 lbs. That would pull a DSM on a flatbed trailer without any issues.

It's a common misconception in America that a guy needs a 3/4-ton or 1-ton and a deisel engine just to pull a 3000 lb. car on a trailer. The truth is if the engine has enough torque, the rear suspension is beefy enough, and the hitch is rated for it, TOW AWAY!

Like I said, I was speaking from personal experience.
It sounds like he wants this truck primarily for pulling a car/trailer.
Go ahead and put 10,000 miles on a 4.9L / 4.6L F150 pulling an average 1500lb trailer / 3000-3500lb car. You'll easily find you should of gone a step bigger.

I've pulled with my uncle's 99 4.6L, it did it but not well. Power was very lacking, lots of sag, trans definitely liked to get hot. The truck itself was very well maintained and still is today, however it was definitely not a prime candidate for the job. When it comes to the 4.9L, have fun with that.. amazing motor, tough as nails, but does not like towing heavier loads.

I'm not saying it can't be done.. There are just better choices if the primary use of the truck the op's friend is buying is to pull a car(s).

I'm not saying he needs a big diesel truck or anything. I'm just giving advice here based on my experiences + searching on the internet yields the same feedback from owners.

So, what better choices are under $2000? A "prime candidate" knows no budget. He's more or less looking for the best option for $2K. A 90's 1/2-ton pickup is just that. Not the best there is, but as good as it gets for $2K.

He's going to be hard pressed to find anything other than a 1/2-ton with that budget. And judging from my first post in this thread, I clearly recommend anything Chevy over Ford, but that's just my opinion. I agree with you that if I were pulling 5000+ lbs 10,000 miles, I'd want something bigger/better. But for all we know, the OP's brother may only tow a few times a year or only short distances, and any 1/2-ton will do that just fine.

So, what better choices are under $2000? A "prime candidate" knows no budget. He's more or less looking for the best option for $2K. A 90's 1/2-ton pickup is just that. Not the best there is, but as good as it gets for $2K.

He's going to be hard pressed to find anything other than a 1/2-ton with that budget. And judging from my first post in this thread, I clearly recommend anything Chevy over Ford, but that's just my opinion. I agree with you that if I were pulling 5000+ lbs 10,000 miles, I'd want something bigger/better. But for all we know, the OP's brother may only tow a few times a year or only short distances, and any 1/2-ton will do that just fine.

I just was responding initially if you read my first post to the Op saying he was suggesting f150's.

I'm personally a bigger chevy fan myself. However f250's are pretty available in the $2000 range as well if he prefers ford. I'm a much bigger fan of a traditional 5.7L.

The op said his brother wants to buy one to pull a car trailer, so I'm assuming off the bat the sole duty of the truck will be to pull a car / trailer and basing my suggestions/advice off that.

FYI: I just searched my local craigslist for F250's for $2K or less. I found a total of 6 of them that ran and drove. Most had the 302 engine, one had a 5.8L and one had a 4.9L. Aside from a beefed up rear suspension (which as airbag kit can do for a 1/2 ton), none of these will tow any better than a 1/2-ton. The largest engine there is the Windsor, which only puts out 30 ft/lbs more torque than the 4.6L that you have experience with, so nothing stellar about anything that I found.

Not trying to argue to anything. Just trying to illustrate how a bigger chassis doesn't always equate to more power or better towing. I still vote 1/2-ton Chevy because it's enough to do the job safely and it's tough to beat for under $2k.

i'll agree with the GM 350 powered trucks. my old '97 Suburban was a TANK. it had no problems pulling my 24' travel trailer through the Rockies. the truck it was traded in for on the other hand, ha what a joke. traded in for an '05 F150 FX4 with the 5.4L 3v. most underpowered pile of crap i've ever driven, and i used to DD a d-series Civic. it was supposed to be rated at 300bhp and 365btq, mine put down 204rwhp and 244rwtq. my Suburban (which was rated 255bhp/330btq) put down 212rwhp and 292rwtq.

then there was the actual torque curve. the 5.4 was barely making 200ft/lbs @ 2500rpm, and didn't peak till 3800rpm. the 5.7 peaked @ 2700rpm, and held strong till 4400rpm.

FYI: I just searched my local craigslist for F250's for $2K or less. I found a total of 6 of them that ran and drove. Most had the 302 engine, one had a 5.8L and one had a 4.9L. Aside from a beefed up rear suspension (which as airbag kit can do for a 1/2 ton), none of these will tow any better than a 1/2-ton. The largest engine there is the Windsor, which only puts out 30 ft/lbs more torque than the 4.6L that you have experience with, so nothing stellar about anything that I found.

Not trying to argue to anything. Just trying to illustrate how a bigger chassis doesn't always equate to more power or better towing. I still vote 1/2-ton Chevy because it's enough to do the job safely and it's tough to beat for under $2k.
It must be our different areas, around here anything in the way of trucks is pretty plentiful, lots of farmers might be the cause of it.

Pulling up local craigslists I found about half a dozen 250's in the price range than would be great for the job. However I do find almost double the possibilities if I search for chevys. You'd be surprised at the benefits of the suspension when it comes to ride/sag.

I'm in agreement on the Chevys, they're much easier to find cheap in good shape. Also more options in my opinion to choose from when looking for a chevy towing vehicle.

Well it depends how much towing is going to be done. I would not use a gas truck to haul a car/trailer every weekend. Bad idea. But for maybe 5-10 times a year wouldn't be bad on it.

Keep in mind OP you as well don't need a 4x4 if you plan on towing only during summer. It's a common misconception. If you get stuck with a 2wd, you know you should not have been there in the first place. Plus price differences are pretty significant.

Well it depends how much towing is going to be done. I would not use a gas truck to haul a car/trailer every weekend. Bad idea. But for maybe 5-10 times a year wouldn't be bad on it.
I assumed the OP's brother wasn't planning on using his aged $2000 truck to tow long distances every weekend. So, yeah, I can agree with the point that you're making here.

Keep in mind OP you as well don't need a 4x4 if you plan on towing only during summer. It's a common misconception. If you get stuck with a 2wd, you know you should not have been there in the first place. Plus price differences are pretty significant.
Agreed. If not using it in the winter, save some money and go with 2WD. Although most truck you find will be 4WD, 2WD should be cheaper when you do find them for sale.

305,000 miles on my 150 XL 4.6 V8 rwd and looks great!

If you get a extended cab your looking at rust pooling in the door. Whats nice is about the 97 and up F150 they were built pretty damn good!

Go with a stripper model like mine, just ac and PS nothing else with crank windows and plastic floors. My floors look great appose to ratty old carpet as it ages.

Looks better than most peoples "built: dsms LOL

My OG motor had a slow head gasket leak that started at....285,000 miles! Still on the factory untouched transmission. Fluid still bright red and only issue has been doing both the seals from a leak. The only reason I changed the motor was to a low miles one, since the labor+parts it just made sense at that point.

Im so impressed with this truck and everyone else is

Most trucks with age are going to need the front end redone no matter what brand so keep that in mind.

I would also suggest a jeep since they are TOUGH AS NAILS and I suggest a manual one also

My old rusty to hell with the ####en doors falling off F250 with a 460ci big block was a animal!

Man that thing went through anything with locking diffs, that also had like 256,000 raped,child abused,gangbanged,work truck miles.

OEM engine and trans and both ran very very smooth!

What nice about those front ends is you can greese them and their suspenion design is so basic that hardly anything goes wrong with them.

You didnt even need a key to start the thing LOL! But it mudded and hauled anything and everything!

Oh and those big block F50s use a C6 trans and you can compare them to GMs TH400= Very strong transmission.

Gas powered dodges are junk! Stay away from them, they have alot of drive train issues

Ford tough

Or chevy for me when it comes to old gas trucks

Im mostly a ford fan for older trucks, they were just built right then.

I also had a ex work truck pile of shit 1994 F150 with a 302 with 232,000 miles that had a rod knock for almost 80,000 miles. No im not joking or kidding, we used to add a little bit of deisel oil with heavy weight normal oil to keep it running LOL.

Also had a slipping trans for about the same amount of miles, and the F250 and the 302 older trucks were both job site work horse piles of shit.

I mean 15 plus years of on job site and hauling hard ass miles

I would also suggest a jeep since they are TOUGH AS NAILS and I suggest a manual one also
I like most Jeeps, but I couldn't recommend one for towing. Even the models that have enough power to tow (5.2L limited), don't have much for a wheelbase- nor are they under $2k.

Don't do what I did... Bought a truck to tow-

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Then wind up dumping money into it and realizing its fast enough to take to the track on its own and wind up wanting to buy ANOTHER truck just to tow it....

On a side note the Lightning still tows perfectly fine and recently completed a 1500 mile round trip to SoCal while towing back my other truck (56 F100 street-rod/future pro-street build with aluminum block 5.4 Lightning swap) I got back from the fab shop...

GL on your search my man.

You can find some jeeps for 2k around me. They are not lookers, really you need to spend around 5,000 for something decent that's isn't a pile.

Try narrowing down specific models to help the guy. Throwing out random Manufacturers doesn't really help much. For example; most Toyotas and Jeeps under $2000 are NOT capable of towing heavy loads. They're just poorly thought out suggestions.

You can find some jeeps for 2k around me. They are not lookers, really you need to spend around 5,000 for something decent that's isn't a pile.
'Jeep' is a manufacturer. Which specific model and engine would you recommend for towing heavy loads, keeping in mind the $2000 budget?

Try narrowing down specific models to help the guy. Throwing our random Manufactures doesn't really help much. For example; most Toyotas and Jeeps under $2000 are NOT capable of towing heavy loads. They're just poor thought out suggestions.

Agreed. My buddy has a Yota 4x4 with the 4cyl, can't do much but haul like 4 hay bales.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back