The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G chattering during firm braking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idt512

20+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2003
Hemet, California
I can feel a chattering on the chassis when applying the brakes firmly. It doesnt feel like the discs are warped because i dont feel it on the brake pedal and the sound of the pulsing is rather fast for warped discs. Ive checked around the steering knuckle area, A-arms, ball joints and didnt find anything lose. I do find a little bit of slop on the steering tie-rod as I try to wobble the knuckle left-right, but both sides have the same amount of slight slop leading me to believe that its probably normal. Light to normal braking doesnt chatter. Any suggestions on what to look at?

Last edited:
Are the caliper bolts in good shape and tight?

It sounds like it could be rear brake related since it happens only under hard braking!

Where does the feeling feel like it's coming from?

Rear sounds always tend to sound up front so I'm learning! Just replaced all 4x corners "brakes" on my girls car, and I could have sworn the darn wear sensor noise was coming from up front... Nope was the rear passenger, my jaw dropped!

This morning I heard a rattle under my car, sounded up front, I leaned out the door and looked under, it's coming from the exhaust by the muffler, such a relief!

Time to fix all those winter caused noises that have randomly appeared!

I hope your problem is as simple as the rear brakes, hub bearings!

Maybe chattering is the wrong word, its more of a light but fast pulsing to the chassis. You can feel it transfer to the steering wheel which narrows it down to the fronts i would think. I went for a drive yesterday and noticed it takes not only firm braking, but speeds above ~25mph as well. Firm braking at slower speeds it isnt there. Im actually thinking towards the steering mechanisms now

Still dealing with this problem. It happens during braking, but the chattering is from the steering wheel. Im thinking now that it may be the steering rack. The steering rods have a slight clunk to them when pushed & pulled, but both sides seem to have an equal amount of slight clunk leading me to believe its normal.

After reading your post and your comment that you are feeling something through the steering wheel... All you have to do is raise the front of the car (leave wheels on) put your hands at 12:00 o clock and 6 o clock position and push/pull on the wheel there should be no movement. If there is, the car will need upper and/or lower ball joints. Similarly, the same test can be done with using your hands at the 9 o clock and 3 o clock position on your front wheel and pull/push. If you have any movement, outer tie rods need to be replaced. Good luck!

Lastly... While sitting in the car with the key on but engine not running try turning your steering wheel slightly left then right. You should not feel or hear anything through the wheels, if you do.... Inner tie rods are probably worn out. Good luck!

There should be no clunk, it should be solid all the way through!! Sounds like you need new tie rods inner and outer.

I tested the outer tie rods the last time I had the wheels off and there was no play, but i dont recall seeing inner tie-rods, i thought i saw ball-socket type of connection from the steering rack to the tie-rod

After reading your post and your comment that you are feeling something through the steering wheel... All you have to do is raise the front of the car (leave wheels on) put your hands at 12:00 o clock and 6 o clock position and push/pull on the wheel there should be no movement. If there is, the car will need upper and/or lower ball joints. Similarly, the same test can be done with using your hands at the 9 o clock and 3 o clock position on your front wheel and pull/push. If you have any movement, outer tie rods need to be replaced. Good luck!

I get the method, but how do you differentiate between inner & outer with that method? Same goes for the "try turning your steering wheel slightly left then right" method. I see both inners & outers as possibilities for both methods

i dont recall seeing inner tie-rods, i thought i saw ball-socket type of connection from the steering rack to the tie-rod

Quoting myself here :)

Finally solved this problem this past weekend. You guys were right on, turned out to be my inner tie-rods. The ball-socket joint that i was referring to was the actual inner joint, I thought i was looking for a tie-rod end similar to the outers but on the inners. It was my first time working on the steering area and i learned something :) Thanks for the help guys :)

This definitely sounded like a tie rod issue, glad you got it fixed! Just remember when it come to inspect the front everything should be tight with almost no slop or excess movement.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back