The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94mirageman

Probationary Member
Apr 16, 2018
penrose, Colorado
Charging issues please help;

For context, I recently installed a new motor (4th time doing one so I don’t believe I missed anything)

The car won’t stay running unless it’s on a battery charger. I have replaced the battery, alternator, and starter, with new units and the same problem still occurs.

All my grounds seem good as when I had the motor out I painted the bay so when installing grounds I sanded them down to bare metal.

The 80A alt fuse had blown so I replaced it with a new one out of my mirage and it’s still hasn’t fixed the issue.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Yes I have searched the forums and read all of the threads already and tried anything that I hadn’t already with no change.

I'm going to assume that the mirage charging system is similar to the 1g dsm. If it's not, then sorry, but you can check the alternator relay in the fuse panel or possibly the battery bulb in cockpit gauge cluster. On a 1g, both of these are involved in the charging system. If you have some type of relocated alternator, try checking your grounds to the alternator.

What battery voltage is the car at while off?
What battery voltage is the car at while running?

Do you have the ground wire to the starter on?
Do you have the alternator bolted down all the way?

What battery voltage is the car at while off?
What battery voltage is the car at while running?
Car off 12.8, car on 14.5-14.7
This is what lead me to realize that it wasn’t a charging issue

I'm going to assume that the mirage charging system is similar to the 1g dsm.

The Mirage charging system is nearly identical to the DSM at least in my case (4G 1.8 Mirage and 1Gb DSM).

With that said it turned out to be my own fault and really didn’t have anything to do with the charging system. I set my injector deadtime and battery adjust up while my car was on a charger and that is what was causing my issues. I reset everything and the car runs much better now and all seem to be well.

Aside from the over heating issues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back