The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Changing your 1st (upstream) O2 sensor, Turbo 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey
I had to change my O2 sensor so i figured i would make a tech for it while i was doing it.:)

You might need to change you O2 sensor if you fouled your old one or just if you want to replace a old crusty one with a fancy new one.

tools you might be needing:
O2 sensor socket
Ratchet with extension
Torque wrench
anti-seize compound(local car parts store or comes with sensor)
New O2 sensor, wires, connector
(the o2 sensor im using is the Denso: First time fit, it seems to be the best no reason why you shouldnt get this one, it can take leaded gas and has extra water protection among other things, all for $94 shipped)
i got mine from machV

this is what your looking for on the car

Attachments

• the target.jpg
    the target.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4,387
follow the wire coming out of it till you find this connection and unhook it, should be somewhere in the area behind the turbo intake pipe with you in the front of the car.

Attachments

• the target connection.jpg
    the target connection.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,542
get your wrench ready, youll need sumthing about like this so you can fit it in there, i took my dipstick out to make it easier

Attachments

• the tool.jpg
    the tool.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,328
Your gonna have a hard time unless you get a socket made for this, they look like this, minus the green

Attachments

• 02 socket.jpg
    02 socket.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,351
Now ratchet off the old sensor, be easy with it when taking it out, check the threads on the O2 housing, tap them with the correct sized tap if they need cleaned or repaired(mine seemed okay). Now take out the old sensor, wire, and connector and lay them on the ground and you should have this:D

Attachments

• what your left with.jpg
    what your left with.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3,277
now get out the new stuff, you should have sumthing like this

Attachments

• the new stuff.jpg
    the new stuff.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,239
you need to use the anti-seize compound now, if you dont you might have trouble replacing it down the road.

Attachments

• anti seize for threads.jpg
    anti seize for threads.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,234
dont get any of the compound on the sensor:thumb:

Attachments

• anti seize on threads.jpg
    anti seize on threads.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,159
Now, get your torque wrench and put the extension and socket on there. Gently take the new sensor and put it down on the o2 house, gently thread it alittle, dont mess up your threads, put the torque wrench to it and put it at 29-36 ft lbs, mines at 29. Dont over do it or youll gonna look like this:mad:

Attachments

• putting on.jpg
    putting on.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 3,182
Once thats done take the wire and plug it back to where you took the old one out, you might wanna try and follow the same path that the old wire took, i just wrapped mine around the lower radiator hose and took to the connector from there, worked out fine. Step back, look at it, say dang that was easy, fire it up, your dun. I circled the hole where i took the dipstick out of, your prolly not gonna need to do that cause its prolly more of a hassle to get it off and back on then its worth.

Attachments

• finished product.jpg
    finished product.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 3,134
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back