The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

changing the starter plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ama11

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2011
La Porte, Indiana
well im going to change the starter plate and was wondering what flywheel bolts should i get will the ones from advanced or az be ok or should i get arp. also are chilton or haynes manual (i dont remember which one i have) have the right torque measurments?.

i bought a xtd clutch and was wondering if a tob from az or advanced will be ok?

thanks

this might be a dumb question but would a chrysler dealer work.

Only the small detail that if you want to change the starter plate, you're going to have a pretty rough time doing so with the flywheel still in place. ;)

Yes, a Chrysler dealer should be able to get the correct OEM flywheel bolts. ARPs will work fine, too.

Only the small detail that if you want to change the starter plate, you're going to have a pretty rough time doing so with the flywheel still in place. ;)

Yes, a Chrysler dealer should be able to get the correct OEM flywheel bolts. ARPs will work fine, too.

Not necessarily. The starter plate is only held on by two 10mm bolts. Both of which can be reached with a box end wrench. Then get the edges over the trans dowels and rotate the starter plate until it will come out from behind the flywheel! :thumb:

I pulled a trans, swapped the plate and reinstalled the trans in less then 45 minutes. Not to shabby if I do say so myself!

To make it easier on yourself, you could have also pulled the transmission alignment dowels.

I'm aware it can be done; it's not my preferred method for numerous reasons.

Last edited:
Just an FYI. Some of us were using ARP flywheel bolts for the Toyota Supra. Comes in packs of 8 (1-2 extras LOL We were using these with an A/T spacer plate so we wouldn't chew up the face of a lightweight or twin disc flywheel. The secret to using these is you MUST MUST MUST run a bottom-out tap all the way thru the threads. You HAVE to cut a few more threads into the flywheel bolt holes. Otherwise, the bolts will not tighten up.

yeah i just figure while having the trans out why not change the clutch. idk when it was last changed. thanks for all the replys

is there anything else i am missing that i might need to buy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back