The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Changing interior lights to LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shdwmsk

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2019
Ramsey, Minnesota
Overview:
I am changing the entire car to LED lights. However, I had an issue when changing the interior lights to LEDs last night. I changed the dome lights to 2xDE3175, the footwell lights to 2x194 LED and the in dash door open light to PC74 LED. Ash tray changed to 1x74 LED along with the ignition key light ring 1xPC74. I think that is all that is included in the door light circuit. Passenger map light was changed to a DE3175 but drivers is still OEM until it arrives, these were switched off the whole time.

Issue:
After changing them all out, the in dash door open light stayed half illuminated with doors closed. I pulled the cluster and was showing ~12v with door open and ~6.3V with all doors closed at the in-dash connector. I replaced the in dash light back to the OEM incandescent and the dash light now goes off with door closed. Interior lights worked normally with turning on and dimming off.
When I had the cluster out, the dome LEDs would half illuminate, does not happen with OEM dash light installed. I did try changing the orientation of the dome lights and dash lights in case its a polarity issue and that didn't change anything. Footwell lights are polarized and need to be installed one way in order to illuminate. I have noticed the cigarette light ring is not turning on, still OEM, cant remember when that turns on. With running lights I think..

This is a '90 Talon AWD 5spd in case that can change anything.

Questions:
Is this caused by a resistance issue like turn signals? Just adding in a pull down resistor would fix the issue or is there actually something weird happening with voltage being back fed somewhere?

Thanks.

Parts:
Dome light LED
Footwell LED
Dash LED
Ash tray LED

I converted all my light to led as well except for key ring, ash tray and cluster. Basically all the lights to light the interior with no issues. I did have to disassemble both door switches as they built up corrosion. Cleaned and applied some dielectric grease when I put mine back together. Maybe the cluster can’t handle the led bulb.

I used buds post

Thanks for the reply. I double checked the LEDs listed in Buds post and they are the same.
T10=194
T5= (PC)74
31 mm feston= 3175

Also, I just reread his post and he did not change out the cluster lights to LED bulbs.

However, I was thinking today and realized that there is a timer relay for the dome light dimming. Wondering if adding a load resistor just before the cluster would fix the issue, like with turn signals and load resistors/LED flasher relay change.

I opened @ist dwa 's excel sheet in this post (https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/full-led-replacement.438303/page-3#post-153678642). Going through his sheet, he had the same issue, just kept the ignition switch light oem. Wish I opened his sheet earlier, would have saved some of my time on a few things.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back