The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

changed plugs now car dies at stop lights and whenever rpm's go below 1,000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnknight90

Probationary Member
Feb 16, 2005
Erie, Pennsylvania
:cry: 1990 Eclipse n/t Ok just like the title says, i changed my plugs(splitfires) were in there. And i changed the wires as well, did not mess up the wire locations or anything like that. The auto store guys told me .044 and the sticker under the hood says .039-.043 so i went with .040, but it still wants to die? what the heck is goin on?

First of all how is the car running before it dies, is it smooth or rough. If your plugs were messing up your car would run rough almost like a misfire. If your car runs good while your driving than you might want to move on and check your fuel filter. Your car runs fine and than dies under 1000 rpms, it might be a feul problem. :thumb: :dsm:

runs fine during driving. But why i don't think its the fuel filter is that it ran fine as can be before i changed the plugs/wires??

FIXED!

I just regapped em to like .035 and now it idles better and runs like a old black beast that it is ;) thanks for your help though man :). Oh don't underestimate the benefits of anti-seize. stuff's great

guess i spoke too soon. ran good for bout 5 minutes and then down the road to the first stop light and rpm's dropped again when i push in the clutch and it died. I just put in the plugs that were in before and same thing. Does anyone have a diagram of how the
wires are supposed to go? I REALLY don't think i messed em up but i'm runnin out of options

As 98GSX209 said, it might be worthwhile to check the fuel filter/fuel line. It might have ran fine before the spark plug/wire change but you never know when sh#t happens.

maybe the problem is somewhere else....

when he stops he brakes,the engine moves forward..maybe a ground is loose and when he stops..it comes off...

thanks for the tip blueblotch but i think i know how to drive a standard

on my 91 gsx the firing order is ( 1432)but yours is a n/t i say sell it!!!

MOTHERSUCKIN CAR!!!! i think the same "spirit" that's been funkin up my car has transpired to my mind because last couple days i've been havin these nightmares where i feel like someone is holding me down in a dream within a dream sorta like nightmare on elm street where i can't wake up from a dream. Anyways, i think this cause the car runs BEAUTIFUL now, pisses me off cause i told a guy i'd sell it to him but now i don't want to cause despite the words i gave it i'm still in love with it and we've been together for a year almost LOL i don't wanna let go :p

This happened to me once. We took apart everything and realised some nuckle head the owened the car before us had not put in the bolt underneath the intake manifold and the manifold go shaken so much that it cracked on all four runners. The crack was so small but that is all it takes to mess up you air/fuel and screw everything up. Just a thought since you can't find out otherwise. Good luck

hey midnkight did you ever figure out what was causing it cause mine does the same thing .it dies whenever i come to a stop or let it drop below 1,000 rpms.if so let me please know.

Could be Fuel cutt problem, or Biss screwed little too tight ... just a suggestion.

what a bunch of misinformation. check the obvious first. plug wires. look at their condition. did you mess one of them up swapping plugs? did you allow debris to fall into the engine? did you possibly damage a sensor while working under hood? Re-gap? never "re-gap". did you put the crush washers on the spark plugs on incorrectly or not at all? crossed plug wires? why give out info that is wrong?

yes these other things mentioned can be possible causes, but they are all stretching it quite a bit. it is not your egr. it is not your intake mani. the only reply that is intelligent here is the one about the ground. THAT will cause similar problems but also is unlikely (unless you really moved it quite a bit) simply because this happened after a very simple tune-up. A simple diagnostics path will lead you straight to the obvious. I dont mean to be a jerk but come on. Go work in a garage, get your ASE certs, and then offer some helpful advice. I know you guys are well intentioned but some of this is definitely going to hurt a guys chances of finding the real problem.

jl98 said:
yes these other things mentioned can be possible causes, but they are all stretching it quite a bit. it is not your egr. it is not your intake mani. the only reply that is intelligent here is the one about the ground. THAT will cause similar problems but also is unlikely (unless you really moved it quite a bit) simply because this happened after a very simple tune-up. A simple diagnostics path will lead you straight to the obvious. I dont mean to be a jerk but come on. Go work in a garage, get your ASE certs, and then offer some helpful advice. I know you guys are well intentioned but some of this is definitely going to hurt a guys chances of finding the real problem.

Well jeez sorry mister know it all. I just simply stated that it did happen to me and the result was a dying car when the clutch was pushed in. This guy is looking for a sorce of this problem. All of these are reasonable causes that will give him what he is getting. Don't be a poop and tell us we need to get certified and work in a garage. This is a hobby that some people will eat sleep and die by and shouldnt have to be certified to touch a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back