The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Chance of Corrosion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
So tonight I polished up the DNP badge plate on my exhaust manifold. I was intending on polishing the entire manifold, but then thought about rust. Does anyone know for sure what steel these manifolds are made from? Is it an anti-corrosion coating I just pulled off? Or can I continue without worry?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check a magnet against it and see what it does.

If it sticks decently then its 409 most likely and will rust, these tend to be the choice of alot of top guys in japan and call it stainless and charge high prices, these surfsce rust fast and also rust inside out due to heat changes and moisture. The manifolds that come chrome plated or electro plated for looks tend to be 409,

304L wont stick and heat over long periods of time will slowly bring surface corrosion but nothing to worry about, also note heat will change metal properties over time and 304L can become magnetic due to the heat cycles.

They wont ever use 316 or 321

My guess is they use 304L

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back