The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

champion spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekkle

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 24, 2008
Bay Area, California
So I've been searching around the forums, and I found a good amount of threads saying that "NGK are better" but I can't seem to find the reason why. So if anyone knows, please enlighten me. Does anyone also know if champions are bad? And why? Thanks.

Yeah but like, why? That's my question.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question.

Do you want to know: Why do people use NGKs rather than other spark plugs?

If so, it is what I posted originally: they've been proven to be most effective in DSMs. Every DSM that I've ever worked with uses NGK BPRxES (x being 6, 7, 8 or 9). :talon:

It's what our engines were designed for.

The heat range is perfect.

The electrodes are the perfect size for the recommended gap and coil output.

They stick into the cylinder at just the right distance.

Would you use chevy valves in your head if they were "pretty close" and a little cheaper?

Honestly I have no idea why people fight this all the time. NGK copper plugs are what you should run and nothing else. The only decision here is what heat range you should use and for 90% of dsm drivers they should use a 6.

NGKs or Densos, for the reasons stated above. These are import vehicles, and plugs designed for imports work the best.

Only use champions if that is what the car recommends, all my vehicles have NGK and Bosch plugs, because champions just suck.

I use Champion on my lawn mower, NGK on my car.

d

Just that NGK's were chosen by Mitz for this motor and thus fully recommended for ultimate performance since the motor was tuned for NGK's. Just that it's a marketing thing that there is to be a common part manufactured by others so it doesn't turn into a unfair practice of monopolizing a common product - why we have almost a dozen vendors out there that make an oil filter that works with the 4G63 motor.

I wouldn't kick AC/Champions around too hard. They've been around a lot longer than NGK's and have been in milliion of motors manufactured and have proven themselves worthy in a lot of applications.

-DSM

So I've been searching around the forums, and I found a good amount of threads saying that "NGK are better" but I can't seem to find the reason why.

It isn't really a known factor. But try after try, they come out with better performance in DSMs. I don't know if it's because of the Mitsubishi's ignition voltage, or NGK's quality, or the method they use in their copper cores, but they simply "are".

NGK all the way :thumb:

NGK's seem to work great, in any car. The quality is simply awesome. Champions suck, plain & simple, even in vehicles that came with Champions, NGK's still work better. Only thing that comes close is AC Delco's, they also make some great plugs. Stay away from anything else, ESPECIALLY Bosch & Autolites, don't even get me started on them.

So I see that the bpr6es up to bpr9es differences are the heat insulation part? Is there anything else? Also I hear 20 psi would be for like bpr7es, but for the same price I can get bpr9es, so why wouldn't I? Is there something I don't know? Please enlighten me.

It is a balance between fouling and spark blowout.

Higher numbers are easier to foul but will perform better at higher boost. If you are using some aftermarket parts but don't have upgraded ignition parts then the 7s are probably right for you.

If you're at the point of being concerned about two bucks difference in spark plug costs, sell the car and get a bicycle.
9 is far too cold a heat range. I run 8s on air-cooled motorcycles. The 9s are cheap because nothing uses them, and the shop can't get rid of them.

Lol, just wondering why thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back