The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

CF hood question- post CF hood pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBird

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2004
akron, Ohio
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948174465&category=36475

The link above is to a hood I saw on ebay.
I am looking to buy a carbon fiber hood for my talon(it will have an eclipse 2G-b front conversion w/ halo projector lights) and I want to go OEM style. Has anybody seen these ebay hoods? Does anybody know anything about them, are they good hoods?

Also I was wondering if some you out there with CF hoods could post some pics, I like the OEM style, but I have seen other styles I like as well, I just don't know the names of them. Thanx

I've seen those hoods on ebay. Do note with the shipping and insurance your not saving much versus picking one up at your local shop. And carbon fiber has a tendacy of being either really good or really bad. I would stick to some of the top names of the industry to make sure that you get a good weave pattern, and a quality gel coat. Sometimes a little extra goes a long way.

Here is my 95 GST w/ 2GB front end/halo projectors/carbon fiber hood.

Attachments

• newcarfrontmount2.jpg
    newcarfrontmount2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 484
MoodyTalon said:
Here is my 95 GST w/ 2GB front end/halo projectors/carbon fiber hood.

where did u get that CF hood, does anyone have the ebay one?

I bought my CF hood off of eBay a few years ago, but don't remember what company I bought it from. The fitment was great, all I had to do was drill the holes for the hood pins, washer nozzles, and move the hood latch around a very tiny bit.

Attachments

• PF_trees6.jpg
    PF_trees6.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 452
  • P_nofront1.jpg
    P_nofront1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 446
I have the VIS TYPE JS CARBON FIBER HOOD for my car and its great. Fits really well and great quality. Obviously paid a little more for VIS but imo its worth it. :thumb:

iowaboostin said:
I bought my CF hood off of eBay a few years ago, but don't remember what company I bought it from. The fitment was great, all I had to do was drill the holes for the hood pins, washer nozzles, and move the hood latch around a very tiny bit.

Its holding up ok? Ive heard some horror stories about ebay hoods....

It's holding up great.. zero warping or fading, it looks as good as it did when I bought it.

Turbo bird i got my carbon hood off the same guy, i got it for 100 + 150shipping hood fits perfect except it took 6 weeks to get after i paid for it.

Ive havent noticed any warps in the hood, in some parts of the carbon fiber were it is woven its ####ed up in one part but u gotta stare at the hood close up to notice the weaving is all messed up

Eclipsemblue said:
Turbo bird i got my carbon hood off the same guy, i got it for 100 + 150shipping hood fits perfect except it took 6 weeks to get after i paid for it.

Ive havent noticed any warps in the hood, in some parts of the carbon fiber were it is woven its ####ed up in one part but u gotta stare at the hood close up to notice the weaving is all messed up

Would you say then it was a good deal or I should just get one from like summit or someone else? I mean if I am going to be paying $250, and it is not all that and a bag of chips with a coke (just wanted to throw that in), I might as well shell out another 100 or so and get a really good one.

Yea, I got my hood off of ebay. I've heard some horror stories about them fading, so I had mine clear coated before putting it on the car, and I have not had any problems out of it so far. I didn't drill any holes in it though, I pulled out all the hoses for washer nozzles and kept them shaved.

i'm gonna order my oem cf hood from andy'sautosport along with a set of 5zigen 17"X8 Typhons...i think the hood there is 380+s&h

If you want a real carbon fiber hood, go with Fiber Images. If you want a fake CF hood, (cf overlayed on a fiberglass skeleton) go with VIS. Lots of people on here have bought the eBay VIS hoods and are satisfied, but a lot have had them crack with the heat from aftermarket exhaust manifolds. However these hoods have really good fittiment so I've heard, and they ARE lighter than stock.
Look here for CF hood comparisons.
Here's some info about them cracking under added heat.

its really your choice, my carbon hood hasnt snapped off and flew down the road yet :p and it fit fine. Its your choice, i can get you a picture of the setup on the back of the hood to show you how its constructed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back