The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

CEL - Randomly Runs on 3 Cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinical

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 15, 2009
Cedar Falls, Iowa
So I bought my 92 GST about 3 weeks ago.
114k miles, bone stock and clean car for $1200.

When I was letting it run looking around it started running on 3 cylinders. Was an older guy and you could tell the car had sat he just wanted it gone and had never had it only run on 3 cylinders - then while playing with wires and such it suddenly went back to being on 4cylinders. I test drove it, drove great.

Drove it halfway home started running on 3 cylinders. Got it home and it was running on 4 cylinders again - put new plug wires on it - last 2 weeks it has always been fine.

Then tonight it starts running on 3cylinders again.

Also I'm not sure if its related but after starting it - usually about 20-30 seconds afterwards the CEL will come on. Has a new O2 sensor.

Just wondering if this sounds like it could be a coil pack since I've had a somewhat similar issue on my old 1g and it was the coil pack. Or does this sound like it could be an injector?

Any ideas of where to start?

Don't know need to check it but dont have a tester to check it, it's down at our shop which is about a 15-20 minute drive and probably wont be down there for about a week unless it gets so bad it isnt drivable but its never gotten any worse.

Mainly just hoping to see if anyone has had a similar issue and what their solutions could of been.

With no code hard to say, could be a coil, wires, plugs with a car you just got you really never know til you dig into it and learn more about the condition of it.

how does the car behave when you drive it does it break up misfire if it does then it could be a coil . if it just feels rough at idle then i would say injector

it just runs on 3 cylinders, so it idles rough and drives rough , it doesnt change its always just plain running on 3 cylinders when its doing it.

while its running you can try pulling one ignition wire at a time and the cylinder that doesn't change the idle is the one that is misfiring . you should use ignition wire pliers . when you find out what cylinder it is you can shut the engine off. with the wire disconnected put a small screwdriver or if you have an extra plug put that on the wire and hold the plug up against any metal surface have a helper start the engine . if you see a spark then its firing and its not an ignition problem. also do a compression check if that is ok then i would say you have a bad injector

Zombie post!!!

Ok, my car is doing the exact same thing. Was it ever figured out?
I've swapped injectors and it went from #2 being the bad cylinder to #3. (Conpletely different set of injectors, not just moved around).

I would recommend trying a different ECU, if you have one around. Also because these cars are so old, I know that a lot of our electrical pigtails that s
nap to the injector dont fit as snug as they should.

However I definitely suggest swapping in a ECU, they do go bad.

Ive had this exact same thing happen to me a long time ago, tried different injectors, fixed the connections, but it ended up being the ECU. Its always good to keep a spare around for troubleshooting anyhow

I put in my EPROM/v3 ECU (has a blown chip for the ISC) started up and idled fine then it dropped 2 cylinders. I went to misc and its #2 and #3. I know the coilpack works like 2 alternating sides. Is 2 and 3 controlled by the same one on the coilpack? I'm going to google it up right now but thought I'd post up anyways LOL

I also have a spare transistor which didn't seem to fix it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back