The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G CEL code flasher

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After helping out a member on Facebook with making this code flasher I decided to post it up on DSMtuners for anyone who needs help understanding how to make one of these to pull codes from there 1g DSM (turbo or non-turbo).

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
soldering iron (electrical, or gas heated, handle with care as one touch will blister fast)
wire cutters/strippers
safety goggles (little air pockets get trapped in molten solder and can pop and burn you)

MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED:
power wire (20-16awg will be good)
"LED" light emitting diode (any color you want)
solder fluxcore (I use kester brand solder as I found its very good quality stuff)
heat shrink tube (any color is fine all it does is protects the soldered joints)
resistor (470ohms +/-20% or 560ohms +/-5% any of them will be fine)

OPTIONAL MATERIALS:
alligator test wire clips (for attaching to the OBD port pins)
female diag port pigtail (plug for black connector mounted on fuse box from a donor car)

STEP 1:
choose what LED your gonna be using and what resistor best fits your LED's range (this is the LED and resistor that I selected).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

NOTE:
here is a useful chart to help select the proper ratings for the colors of LED's if your using a calculator to determine the resistor that your gonna use.

STEP 2:
identify the Anode and Cathode of the LED your using (not all manufactures make it easy to find out what leg is POS and NEG so pay attention to the inside of the bulb).

STEP 3:
bend the cathode "-" to a full loop and insert the resistor threw it like threading a needle and bend the leg of the resistor just like the LED leg was done then solder the new joint together (this will make a more solid connection that wont break as easy).

STEP 4:
cut 2 pieces of wire and strip about 1/2" of the case off each end then solder one to the Anode "+" and solder the other wire to the last leg on the resistor.

STEP 5:
cut small lengths of heat shrink tubing and slip them over the wire and all the way to the the LED's base (I shrink tubed over top of it all again for added strength).

THE REST OF THE STEPS ARE OPTIONAL AS TO HOW YOU WANT TO HOOK IT UP:
Alligator clips crimped on the open ends of the wires leading to the LED would be the easy way especially if you can't get a spare plug that will fit into the OBD port.

Here is a link to what the codes are and where to connect the LED wires at to pull the codes.
http://vfaq.com/mods/wayback/BradBauer/electrical/terminal.jpg
ECU Code Checking

If this helped you please leave feedback.
Thank-You

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back