The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECUflash CeddyMod v1 (EcuFlash)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceddy

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2006
Reading, Pennsylvania
CeddyMod v1

Newest release is here -> http://ceddy.us/?page_id=16

Please use this thread for discussion about CeddyMods only,
other DSM EcuFlash discussion should be here -> http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/338754-first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html

"What is CeddyMod?"

CeddyMod is a bundle of code modifications for the DSM flashable ecus.
It is modeled after the famous TephraMods for the evo ecus, and tries to use similar units as used in the evo code changes, so Loggers and other tools will remain compatible.

"What code has been added so far?"

Launch Control

• Stationary RevLimiter
  • RevLimiter Switch Speed
  • AntiLag
  • NLTS

Launch Control consists of a Stationary RevLimiter(2-Step, StutterBox) that is enabled when stationary and at low speeds.

Once the RevLimiter Switch Speed is exceeded the normal rev-limiter takes over. A good setting for this is half way threw first gear, or what best suits your launch style.

AntiLag is added to help build boost when using the Stationary RevLimiter. It does this by retarding ignition timing, which produces more hot unburnt gases, that spools the turbine faster. The lower the retard the more boost will be produced, but EGTs will greatly increase. The AntiLag Start RPM should be set to a few hundred rpm lower then the Stationary RevLimit, at the point the rpms bounce down to off the Stationary Limiter. Your rpms will will climb slowly when the timing is retarded, so for a quick, crisp launch control antilag should only be enabled for a small rpm range.

No Lift To Shift, NLTS is a mod that allows you to keep the throttle floored while shifting. It lowers the revlimit to a set point when the clutch is engaged. NLTS is enabled after the RevLimiter Switch Speed is exceeded. This mod requires adding a wire from the clutch pedal switch to ecu pin 91(Park/Neutral Position Switch).

Logging and Map Mods
  • CEL on Knock
  • 1Byte Load
  • Airflow Calculations
  • Map Switching

CEL on Knock will light the CEL once a certain knock count is exceeded. If the CEL is already lit from an OBD code it will flash the CEL off. This gives you a quick indication when you are knocking.

The mitsubishi loggable Load dilemma. The MUT protocol used by mitsu ecus, uses one byte(0-255) to transfer information. This causes the Load item to max out at 160 when logging, Loads higher then 160 couldn't be logged. The evo guys developed the 2Byte Load, this used two bytes to transfer info, this allowed any Load to be logged but slows logging because twice as many bytes are transferred. The 2Byte Load also suffers from a byte mismatch problem around the 160 Load point, this cause spikes in your graphs and bad info near the 160 Load point. Later on the 1Byte Load was developed, this uses a multiplier to allow the logging of higher Loads. The multiplier is editable to allow the best resolution with the highest load you need to log. For example 255x1.2=306 Load, 255x1.4=357 Load, etc. The 1.2 multiplier is a good starting point, because it is near the 310 Load limit of the 2G MAF.

The OBD2 code includes a set of Airflow Calculations that will calculate your airflow in lb/min or gm/sec. This mod adds these calculation to the MUT protocol and allows you to log your airflow in easier to understand units. These airflow numbers are useful if you want to plot your location on a compressor map, etc.

The DSM ROMs have a second set of Timing and Fuel maps that are unused. Map Switching allows you to easily switch between these two sets of maps. You can have a pump gas tune on one set of maps and a race gas tune on the other.

"What is the Current Version?"

CeddyMod is at 1.4 beta

Stationary RevLimiter - Tested Good
RevLimiter Switch Speed - Tested Good
AntiLag - Currently Limited to a max of -5 degrees
NLTS - Not Coded
CEL on Knock - Tested Good
1Byte Load - Not Coded
Airflow Calculations - Not Coded
Map Switching - Not Tested Yet

Downloads
ROM -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550011-mod-1v4.bin
XML -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550011.xml

If you do not understand something, do not flash your ecu.
This is a Beta release and everything hasn't been tested, care should be taken when using it.
I take no responsibility for any damage caused. If you blow up your motor or brick your ecu, thats all on you.
AntiLag and NLTS are some "hardcore" mods, if you haven't used them before, research the damage they can cause.

"CeddyMods is Donationware"

This means you pay whatever you think its worth.
Making definitions and writing new code is very time consuming.
If I get support from the users, I will continue writing new code and making it available to the public.
Hopefully together we can develop the best engine management system available for the DSM.

Donations can be made here -> Ceddy's DSM EcuFlash Page

Last edited by a moderator:
Screen Shots

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

CeddyMod Menu

Setup Bits

Set to 0 to disable, 1 to enable. Use +,- to change.

If "All Mods Off" is zero, the RevLimit from the Limits section is used, and all mods are disabled.

Menu Items

"CeddyMods is Donationware"

This means you pay whatever you think its worth.
Making definitions and writing new code is very time consuming.
If I get support from the users, I will continue writing new code and making it available to the public.
Hopefully together we can develop the best engine management system available for the DSM.

Donations can be made here -> Ceddy's DSM EcuFlash Page

you are a saint. if i had a 98 - 99 ecu i would definitely donate to your cause. hell i might do that anyway. i have an evo8 ecu in my car and am greatfull that Tephra, JSCbanks and all the great guys over on the EVOM forum are of the same mind set as you. i also own an 04 STI and let me tell you that crowd is about the most greedy group out there. no one is willing to put out anything as donation wear..... they all want to make a buck ($50 to $150 to be exact)..... you sir ROCK :rocks::rocks::rocks:

I got to try the Ceddy mods tonight and here's my feedback:
1-When I downloaded the rom and def the Ceddy mods on my old rom got jumbled so I had to use the new rom and spend an hour changing it to fit my needs. Nbd just kind of a hastle.
2- I set the "knock above load" to 100 to keep my lifters from making knock (taps til the oil gets hot) and the CEL was going nuts at low rpm til the engine got warm. I eliminated this issue from showing on logs but still trigger the knock cel. I was able to set the light to 4 counts to keep it off.
3- I love the launch control. I played with it and ended up setting it to 49xx rpm and antilag to 46xx rpm and hits 15psi til I slip the clutch for about 2 feet and tears all 4 tires loose and boost instantly goes from 15 to 25.
Over all is a very sweet tool in tuning and racing, now we don't have to log for knock to know it's there, we can see it if it happens.

I got to try the Ceddy mods tonight and here's my feedback:
1-When I downloaded the rom and def the Ceddy mods on my old rom got jumbled so I had to use the new rom and spend an hour changing it to fit my needs. Nbd just kind of a hastle.
You need to use the new rom because it has code added to it.

2- I set the "knock above load" to 100 to keep my lifters from making knock (taps til the oil gets hot) and the CEL was going nuts at low rpm til the engine got warm. I eliminated this issue from showing on logs but still trigger the knock cel. I was able to set the light to 4 counts to keep it off.
The KnockSum used for the CEL and Logged are the same item. They should match up.

3- I love the launch control. I played with it and ended up setting it to 49xx rpm and antilag to 46xx rpm and hits 15psi til I slip the clutch for about 2 feet and tears all 4 tires loose and boost instantly goes from 15 to 25.
Over all is a very sweet tool in tuning and racing, now we don't have to log for knock to know it's there, we can see it if it happens.
Been looking at the Timing code should be able to get the AntiLag Retard down to -20 degrees(now limited to -5), and looking at possibility of dumping extra fuel.

Also found some unused inputs and outputs, could use them for a lot of things like ecu controlled meth injection, or an intercooler spayer like the evos have.

If anyone has a video of some 20+ psi launches, using my Launch Control/AntiLag, love to see them.

If anyone has suggestions for things they would like added in the future, post them up.
I would really like to add features no other ems has, but need suggestions from drag/road race/auto-x enthusiasts.

I'll have to do a few more logs to check out the lifter thing again. I think if you want 20+ psi on the 16g it might take close to 6k rpm. I can try it and get a vid if the car don't try to go back in time. :D I would like to see fan control from a drag racer piont of view it would be nice to have the fans getting the engine nice and cool on the return lane so at the end of the night you can do a couple hot laps and be safe instad of being scared of heat soak and letting it sit between runs. I think they turn on at 2xx-210. HOT

Wow its great to see this much progress with the stock ecu's. Ceddy great job and if i had a flashable dsm ecu i would love to try out this patch.

With being able to manipulate the ecu so much is there any possibility of being able to wire in a GM MAF w/o a translator like DSMlink can ?

I may do an alternate air metering sensor setup, depends how much this catches on and how many people start using it.

If I do, it won't be the GM Hotwire sensor, they are notorious for their flakey signals and are not designed to be used in a blow thru set up.

I would use the the hotwire sensor the EvoX and STIs use, they are proven to work well in a blow thru turbo set up. Or I would go speed density.

DSMLink doesn't support the GM Maf natively, you still need a $75 translator cable.
The GM Hotwire signal goes up to 20,000 hz or something, the DSM ecus are designed to handle only a couple thousand hz. You need some sort of translator, or frequency divider to use them.

Well if you came up with a way to wire in a sensor to use in a blow-through setup I think the amount "I feel ceddymod is worth" to donate would be a pretty penny :)

Well if you came up with a way to wire in a sensor to use in a blow-through setup I think the amount "I feel ceddymod is worth" to donate would be a pretty penny :)
im with him. i too would love to use this on a gm maf blow thru setup and their are alot of people in our community running that setup. i think this is great what you are doing. alot of my buddies have evos and they have alot of good tuners around for their stock ecu's so if i could get the same guy to tune mine that would be great. keep up the good work!

Ceddy, have you thought about getting with JSCbanks yet about porting over his speed density patch?

edit: DUH... God I'm stupid, of coarse you have.........

Ceddy, have you thought about getting with JSCbanks yet about porting over his speed density patch?

edit: DUH... God I'm stupid, of coarse you have.........

The evos use the SH family of processors, very different then the H8s.
It wouldn't be very simple to port over.

I've been looking at some of the OEM speed density roms to see how mitsu does speed density.

Mellon Tuning just made 700 AWHP using the stock MAF, you don't need to worry about the MAF being a limiting factor until you are moving some serious air. I'll concentrate on coding the necessities before doing a alternate air metering system.

if i could get the same guy to tune mine that would be great. keep up the good work!

I'm in the same boat. I ditched buying a SAFC and bought a openport 2.0 cable for ECUflash but I'm VERY new to tuning maps and stuff and just don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I need someone familiar with this layout to help teach me the basics.

I'm in the same boat. I ditched buying a SAFC and bought a openport 2.0 cable for ECUflash but I'm VERY new to tuning maps and stuff and just don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I need someone familiar with this layout to help teach me the basics.

I learned to tune my car with EcuFlash all by myself
It's simple, just learn the basics of tuning
And follow the Ceddy Flash FAQ

Finished up version 1.5, I'll test it out tomorrow and post it up for beta testing if there are no problems.

Added:

1Byte Load - A loggable Load that can be adjusted to your maximum load

AirFlow Calcs - Allows logging of lb/min or gram/sec

Base Timing with Terminal Grounded - My 95 has the Base Timing Terminal like the 1Gs, the 98/99 ecus do not use it unfortunately. This adds the function, very handy for setting timing on a 6-Bolt swap.

AntiLag Ignition Retard code changed, hopefully more then -5 degrees can be retarded now.

Also has been working on removing the Load and PulseWidth Limits, need someone flowing 45+ lb/min to test a fix out.

Finished up version 1.5, I'll test it out tomorrow and post it up for beta testing if there are no problems.

Added:

1Byte Load - A loggable Load that can be adjusted to your maximum load

Also has been working on removing the Load and PulseWidth Limits, need someone flowing 45+ lb/min to test a fix out.

Is this why my Evoscan will not log over 1600hz? I don't see why my slow car would be maxing the MAF.

Airflow, load, and RPM are, internally, two-byte values. MUT is a single-byte-request protocol. So for airflow over 1600Hz, you'll need to log both bytes, or scale it down to a single byte (losing a little resolution) like Tephra and Ceddy did for 1-byte load. (There's also a meta-discussion to be had as to which value really is "load", since at least on the Evos, various intermediate versions of the value are stored depending on what filtering has been applied.)

That being said, I have absolutely no idea what the two-byte RAM addresses for load, airflow, and RPM are for any of the 2g ROMs. We have a thread on EvoM where we've been collecting that information for each ROM (for adding multi-byte values to the MUT table), and there's a page on the wiki that talks about how to use that information. I'm sure updates to that for the DSM and early Evo ROMs would be more than welcome.

Ceddy, it's great to see you porting some of the more useful stuff to the DSM ROMs! Just to warn you, though, tephra ends up losing a lot of his life to maintaining those patches; at least it looks like you might only have one or two ROMs to support on this platform. :)

The basic fuel tuning, and compensating for different injectors is easier than with an AFC IMO. I've done the SAFC2, Tunerpro on an EPROM, and ECUFlash on the Evo8 ECU on both an Evo 8 and my 2g. I wouldn't waste money on another AFC or similar tuning 'toy' again.

Is this why my Evoscan will not log over 1600hz? I don't see why my slow car would be maxing the MAF.

Yeah Hz will max out at 1600 and Load at 160.

RPMs will max out at 7969 rpms.

You can do the 2Byte mod also with evoscan, the 2nd byte is one less the value in the MUT table. Like if AirFlow was F123, the other byte would be F122.

Ceddy, it's great to see you porting some of the more useful stuff to the DSM ROMs! Just to warn you, though, tephra ends up losing a lot of his life to maintaining those patches; at least it looks like you might only have one or two ROMs to support on this platform. :)

I'm sticking to one ROM, I don't see how he can keep so many ROMs up to date, I have trouble with one.

(There's also a meta-discussion to be had as to which value really is "load", since at least on the Evos, various intermediate versions of the value are stored depending on what filtering has been applied.)

The DSMs are setup the exact same way, I'm using the Load with no compensation done to it. I think even with extreme weather conditions the Barometric and Air Temperature compensated Loads should be with in 10% of it.

The KnockSum used for the CEL and Logged are the same item. They should match up.

It turns out my lifter is getting worse so I logged knock even as low as "30-50" load when my "knock above load" is set to 110. I know I need to swap those lifters out but I just wanted to point that out.

It turns out my lifter is getting worse so I logged knock even as low as "30-50" load when my "knock above load" is set to 110. I know I need to swap those lifters out but I just wanted to point that out.

Knock Control Above Load sets which background noise filter to use.
Below the Load you set it will be less sensitive, above more sensitive.

Your Lifter is getting loud if you are getting high knock counts at low loads.
I still have the ticking 1G lifters and get no knock after 1 minute of warming up.

Lucas Oil Additive can help noisy lifters sometimes.

I've started looking at some Speed Density info to port into CeddyMod.

At first I was looking at the OEM SD in the H8 Mirages.
Their implementation is very complex and heavily dependent on throttle position.
Seems it would work very well with a crisp driving car, unfortunately they do not use a knock sensor. I looked at adding the knock sensor code, but it won't physically fit, there are 12 knock maps and a lot of code. And it would be a hard job to add.

Now I'm looking at the Evo implementation, it is elegantly simple, for the small amount of changes that need done for such a major mod. I think it will port over well.

If anyone has a GM 3 Bar MAP and IAT sensor or a few bucks they could donate, so I could do some testing. It would help get things moving along. Thanks.

Knock Control Above Load sets which background noise filter to use.
Below the Load you set it will be less sensitive, above more sensitive.

Your Lifter is getting loud if you are getting high knock counts at low loads.
I still have the ticking 1G lifters and get no knock after 1 minute of warming up.

Lucas Oil Additive can help noisy lifters sometimes.

I noticed, I won't get more than 4-5 counts under my "knock above load" then over 110 load it goes nuts sometimes. I have a set of 3g 4g64 lifters I will be putting in very soon. Those are the right ones right? Once I get them swapped out it will work perfectly as long as I'm not driving on a spun bearing.
-It turned out that the 3g 4g64 lifters are way wrong-

Is there anyway to turn off or delete the code for the rear O2 sensor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back