The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cat Vs No Cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRacerDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2011
Hanover, Pennsylvania
So I've been doing my research on Exhausts as mine desperately needs to be replaced. I've decided on the Apexi N1 because Ive read good reviews and it sounds real noice. However, the exhaust I currently have has no cat. So I was wondering whether itd be better for me to get the N1 downpipe all the way back, leaving out the cat, or throwing a cat in with the system. If i should throw a cat in, what kind and size is best? Also, if the N1 downpipe wont work, what one would fit up right?

I've got an eBay 3" turbo back with an open o2 dump and everything fit perfect and sounds nice and deep. Plus it cost me $200 for an entire exhaust systems and has seen two winters daily driven. And I've had no issues with rust or anything.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and get a video of mine at an idle and revved... Not saying it is the best or anything, but I run no cat 3" all the way and it is just as free flowing as a straight pipe. I will leave it up to you to decide if it sucks or not... I'll film it when I get home.

I also have a straight 3" exhaust with nothing but a fart can on the end. No test pipe, resonator, nothing. It does sound nice, it's very low and mellow for what it is. But I would hack off the can and replace it with a 3" polished pipe in a heartbeat. Actually, that's what I plan to do.

I've always had straight pipe exhausts. My 5.0 and 3.0 Ford's both had straight headers with side exit exhausts. My little 3.0 sounded better than most 5.7 engines I've heard, and it was nothing but pipe.

But again, this is just one opinion vs another. You may think open pipe sounds like junk, but I would rather run open pipes than spend a dollar on a muffler.

No cat. A cat restricts air flow unless you buy a performance one. Why would you waste money on that!!!

Copy and paste the link from the browser bar. The video has to be public though.

Ok, I dislodged my head from my ass and fixed it... Here ya go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EELLbOJ_9nA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]DSM complete 3" Catless pipe with a Magnaflow - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, sounds good. Like the muffler. How much that whole setup cost ya? Ill grab a vid of my exhaust, cheap ebay. It sounds good, but your muffler, i have to admit, does sound very nice. Not too loud at all either.

ROFL

The anti-lag sounds really harsh on my phone... Makes the speaker pop and crackle.

Whole set up cost me $125. The pipe is stainless mandrel pipe, all 3" from a new Ford truck that was upgrading the pipe. I hacked it up and welded it together to fit tight to the body and be straight as possible. There is only that one small angle from under the axle to where the muffler discharges. Most of it is my work. The hangers and final positioning was done by a friend of mine who owns an exhaust shop... He used to have a GSX years ago, so he's real good at fitting things up and helping with the custom stuff.

The greatest thing about the automotive world is your own personal taste. I run 1gb with no cat and muffler and love the sound. But that's my personal taste. Reasonable quiet at idle and loud when the turbo wakes up.

Punishment racing makes a MEAN stainless steel o2 Housing. I have one on my GSX and it is amazing. Doesn't really go with the whole "I'm on a budget" plan though.

On a side note. I have an Apexi N1 Cat back, Test Pipe, RRE Downpipe, and PR o2 housing and I think my exhaust sounds amazing! If my car was running right now I would get a video for you.

Does that look repairable or worth the time? It seems like there are tiny holes in it and looks as though it has been re welded a few times

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 73
Wow that looks terrible. I guess you could try what Frank said just below my post and see if those really are holes but I would maybe buy a new one... I could always send you my old o2 housing if you just covered shipping or you could buy one elsewhere.

Mine looks a lot better than that. I am assuming because of the dry climate. If you want it just shoot me a PM and I can see what it would cost to ship.

yeah i thought it looked pretty shitty -_- Need to find one with the o2 sensor bung in it but I'm gonna wait to get one until I figure out what exhaust I am going to go with and need to look at the bolt pattern to match with the turbo

I love my 3" no cat thermal Exhaust system. I think it sounds nice and doesnt have that raspy twang to it that you hear from a lot of exhaust systems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back