The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cat Vs No Cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRacerDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2011
Hanover, Pennsylvania
So I've been doing my research on Exhausts as mine desperately needs to be replaced. I've decided on the Apexi N1 because Ive read good reviews and it sounds real noice. However, the exhaust I currently have has no cat. So I was wondering whether itd be better for me to get the N1 downpipe all the way back, leaving out the cat, or throwing a cat in with the system. If i should throw a cat in, what kind and size is best? Also, if the N1 downpipe wont work, what one would fit up right?

I've heard apexi is just expensive and not the same quality as some of the cheaper exhausts(megan, thermal, etc). Also, a cat delete can cause for boost creep. If you choose to use a cat it should be the same size as the rest of the exhaust and make sure the flanges will work with whatever downpipe and cat back system you use. I have a punishment racing downpipe that works great. Bolts right up to my megan test pipe.

i'm running thermal exhaust, my friend has a megan and his son has a magnaflow custom 3 inch exhaust , honesty (not to be biased) I like my thermal the best and I wouldn't call it "cheap" either

but back to the op i'd leave it out

any downpipe should, when I did mine I found a guy selling the cat back used and bought a new downpipe I think for the dp , SS o2 housing w/dump and cat back I paid like $800 or $900, and it sounds awesome, the megan muffler I didn't care for the thermal mounts flush

Ok so forget the cat. Apexi is expensive as hell the system with the dp is about $900 -_- I still want to get the exhaust, are there any downpipes that fit up with it?

Your actually better getting a diff dp. Ppl say the apexi ones are prone to breaking in the flex section whether its been revised idk. Mine broke there but it also went through a roll over soo.. LOL

Any fp will work fine so long as the flanges are the same and piping is same diameter.

Thanks guys. I have to do some measurements but im thinking megan dp, as long as it fits to my current o2 housing. And the dp looks like it should fit to the N1 exhaust. I just have to find out if the flanges are the same

And to clarify, I wont need to get a test pipe if that set up works correct?

Thanks guys. I have to do some measurements but im thinking megan dp, as long as it fits to my current o2 housing. And the dp looks like it should fit to the N1 exhaust. I just have to find out if the flanges are the same

When i said the same I meant v-band vs 2-bolt. But 90% of aftermarket exhausts are gonna be 2bolt. I have a v-band exhaust in my room but i think it was custom. Just saying to make sure of your buying one from a private party. The MG dp should work with N1 as long as its all 3". Or whatever size you choose.

I had the apex set up on my last car....the downpipe wasnt stainless and started to rot away at the flex and was leaking. The Thermal catback with a stainless Megan downpipe on the car I have now is a better setup IMO. Think it sounds better too.

I will also vouch for the megan downpipe and thermal combo...bolts together nicely and sounds great. If you get the megan one, look for the v3 as it has been revised. I got mine from extrempsi.

The revision was only for the awd dp.

Get a custom exhaust at an exhaust shop, and buy link, or an upgraded turbo with the difference.

EXACTLY... I welded together most of mine from some 6 month old stainless 3" Ford truck exhaust piping a guy was replacing with bigger pipe. All mandrel bends. I just hacked it up into elbows and straights, welded up as much as I could fit myself, then took it to a local exhaust shop. The guy at the shop finished it off on the rack by adding the hangers, positioning the last couple feet of pipe to fit tight to the rear axle, and he put the muffler where I wanted it. I bought a Magnaflow 3" to dual 2.5" for the end and a 12" perforated glass pack resonator mid pipe, and it sounds mean as hell. It's very smooth, fairly quiet, and just has a very deep low pitch rumble. It sounds more like a V8 with Flowmasters. It's not poppy and fartcan-ish at all. I love it, and my grand total for a complete 3" stainless mandrel pipe was $125. Even if the exhaust shop supplies the pipe and does all the work, you'll get a better fitted exhaust that is exactly how you want for less than any prefab.

...plus, you'll be supporting a local business.

Ok so forget the cat. Apexi is expensive as hell the system with the dp is about $900 -_- I still want to get the exhaust, are there any downpipes that fit up with it?

RRE makes a nice DP for the N1 and many others. i have the rre dp and high flow cat on my 1g. i also was thinking about getting the N1. i found one from the cat back for 615. look in to RRE they make a great product, and will help out with what ever you need:thumb:

RRE makes a nice DP for the N1 and many others. i have the rre dp and high flow cat on my 1g. i also was thinking about getting the N1. i found one from the cat back for 615. look in to RRE they make a great product, and will help out with what ever you need:thumb:

I run the RRE downpipe, testpipe and cat (when I need to pass emissions), apexi N1. Perfect fit, love the sound. Here is a link to a youtube video, at the end of the video you can hear my exhaust rev and Bypass valve discharge (around 3:40 time mark). I am running a cat at the time.

This exhaust system includes, 2.5 o2 housing to a 2.5 RRE downpipe(3" after the flex) bolt on cat system, Apxi N1 catback.

Now that I have the skill to make my own exhaust, I will gladly over a brand name one. At the time, the ease of bolt on was appealing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RsUKjj-3G0]91 TSI AWD Go Pro Camera - YouTube[/ame]

*Bleh* :|

A straight 3" pipe on a 4g63 sounds like a broken weed whacker. I had one for a week while waiting for my Magnaflow. It was embarrassing... It did not sound good at all. My wife went so far as to say it sounded like chick repellant, and that she didn't mind me having it, because no other girl would want to get anywhere near me in a car that sounded like that.

ROFL

^ Not sure what was wrong with yours... LOL

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqMyUyloAc]'92 TSi AWD straight pipe idle, rev - YouTube[/ame]

Yup, that's what it sounded like........ass. :tease:

Listen to that video objectively... That car sounds like a weed whacker as soon as it gets any gas. In person, that sounds retarded for a street car. For a dedicated drag car, eh whatever... It doesn't matter, so long as the speed is there to back it up. On a street car, that just sounds stupid. There is no getting around that. A straight pipe on a street car sounds bad and makes you look like you're trying to get attention waaaay too much to be any sort of "cool".

I can't see the video, but I repaired and installed my n1 exhaust yesterday. I started it up and ran it b4 putting the back piece with the muffler on and it actually sounded pretty good. Was not much louder if at all louder than my stock exhaust with a cat. Only had a resonator. No where near the weedwacker sound of a honda or anything close.

Now with the n1 muffler on the back I can hardly hear it inside till i get on it.

Yup, that's what it sounded like........ass. :tease:

Listen to that video objectively... That car sounds like a weed whacker as soon as it gets any gas. In person, that sounds retarded for a street car. For a dedicated drag car, eh whatever... It doesn't matter, so long as the speed is there to back it up. On a street car, that just sounds stupid. There is no getting around that. A straight pipe on a street car sounds bad and makes you look like you're trying to get attention waaaay too much to be any sort of "cool".

Well, that may be your opinion. But I say you've never heard a "weed whacker" before, because a DSM with open exhaust is nowhere close.

True weed whacker:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkClJelLIdc]CRX Straight Pipe Test 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Got a 3" turbo back off ebay (no cat). Sounds great but i have a bit of a lope to my idle so it sounds a tad meaner LOL. Iirc, i only paid maybe $200 with shiping.

btw, i kinda like that straight pipe on that 92. Maybe its the fact the turbo spool is so loud but i think its not bad. I would put a muffler on it though, would get annoying driving it like that.

honda sounds like a complete joke SMH

They both sound like crap...

I'll put my money where my mouth is and get a video of mine at an idle and revved... Not saying it is the best or anything, but I run no cat 3" all the way and it is just as free flowing as a straight pipe. I will leave it up to you to decide if it sucks or not... I'll film it when I get home.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back