The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

89 Colt CAS test question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joby66

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2012
argos, Indiana
Have an 89 colt gt turbo. Car runs when it wants to.

Getting code for TDC sensor. Did test on first replacement CAS, seemed ok but I have another to put in.

Was spinning sensor and checking cam and crank wires w/multimeter and BAM. A laud pop from throttle body area. Pieces of throttle base gasket flew everywhere. TB wasn't even bolted up for the brace that attaches to the CAS that I had in my hand. Going to replace gasket but, what happened and more importantly what should I look for when I get a good look at it

Has this happened to anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Car runs when it want to. Getting code for TDC sensor. Did test on first replacement CAS, seemed ok but I have another to put in. Was spinning sensor and checking cam and crank wires w/multimeter and BAM. A laud pop from throttle body area. Pieces of throttle base gasket flew everywhere. TB wasn't even bolted up for the brace that attatches to the CAS that I had in my hand. Going to replace gasket but, what happened and more importantly what should I look for when I get a good look at it. Has this happened to anyone?

Wait.. Let me try to understand -

You have an assembled engine. You were spinning the CAS.. there was a 'pop' and throttle body gasket material exploded from the throttle body area?

Was the car running?...

And....gasket material exploded out of your throttle body? I...huh. I honestly couldn't begin to tell you what would cause that.

After thinking more about it. Injectors are firing, spark plugs are firing, if I did it enough it would ignite and could travel past an open intake valve into intake and then it reaches closed butterfly of throttle body. Since my TB wasn't bolted together at the time it shot thru the only place it could. Can't be the first for that to happen and other than replacing gasket I don't know what else could have gotten messed up.

CAS still in car and checking voltage to and from sensor. Plugged in but not running:
Red 12v, white 5v, yellow 5v. Unplug sensor and check wires from harness and same except yellow drops to .2v .

When it decides it will run, wires check red 14v, white 1.7v and yellow 2v . Gets a code TDC sensor bad. I know they're in the same sensor but not crank angle sensor bad.

Is the yellow wire the one with two signals per rev and is the .2v from harness with nothing plugged in to it the problem? Have changed CAS twice now. Runs a couple days with no code then 'bam' won't start and TDC sensor code.
What do I do next ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Got the answer? My car is the same but doesn't run.
I unplug the wire at CAS, give it 12v to the pin where red wire was connected, ground it to the one next and then I get 5v 4 times per revolution and 0.2 twice per revolution

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back