The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G CAS Rebuild - Inner Oil Seal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Lang

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Auburn, California
I have oil leaking out of the inside of my 1g CAS. Does not leak from the o-ring!
I'm looking for the SHAFT seal. New CAS are very expensive. I want to service the shaft seal. Has anyone found a seal? Got the o-ring at the dealer but no seal available.:confused: Anyone found one???

having no hydraulic press at home, i used my reliable vise, a concrete nail, and a junk socket to press it out.

i remember soaking it in oil or wd40 at that time prior to pressing out.

a local machine shop might help you with this as well.

and merc is correct, replace the seal and the bearing...

Does anyone know where to find the inner oil seal for the 1g green top CAS? Not the o-ring, but inside the CAS is an oil seal that seals the shaft. You have to disassemble the CAS to get to it. Unfortunately the seal wears out and oil gets inside the CAS and causes it to fail.

I know they exist somewhere...aftermarket electronics manufactures can source them when they build these sensors.

90 or 91+?
I haven't got access to my spares here to take a look at what type of seal is requires but maybe you can find a match.

These guys are in Denver and might be able to help.

(This is really a bump to see if someone else might have more helpful information)

90 or 91+?
I haven't got access to my spares here to take a look at what type of seal is requires but maybe you can find a match.

These guys are in Denver and might be able to help.

(This is really a bump to see if someone else might have more helpful information)
It's a 91+ green top. Thanks for the links. If I ever dig one of my old CAS out of storage I'll set the seal aside to see if any of these places can help.

Mine was leaking and I tried to take the pin out (without a press) and damaged the CAS.

I never had to pull the pin. Just disassemble it and the shaft pulls right out.

I don't see how that's possible. Can you upload a video when you do this?
Just disassemble it all the way and gently tap the shaft through with a hammer. There's two press fit bearings. One sealed inside and one oil-fed sleeve (?) bearing on the other side of the seal.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't have a good way to measure it right now but here's a good pic if anything can be gathered from the numbers.

Just disassemble it all the way and gently tap the shaft through with a hammer. There's two press fit bearings. One sealed inside and one oil-fed sleeve (?) bearing on the other side of the seal.

Ah. I see. Dang it! I trashed my green top for no reason LOL. Thanks for the explanation 👍

Finally got something better than a tape measure (thanks Santa). Here are the dimensions of the seal. Lots of hits on google, so probably won't be hard to find.
14x24x6

Question for the mods...how did my thread get merged with one from 2011?

That old thread has all kinds of wrong info like pressing out the pin to remove the shaft, buying this seal from the dealer, leading people down a rabbit hole of looking in CAPS, wrong suggested seal size, etc. The CAS isn't meant to be serviced so there are no dealer provided internal parts available.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back