1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

car's knock sensor alarm keeps going off

Posted by dxr, Jul 13, 2006

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. dxr

dxr Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Hey all. I've gotta 1998 GST spyder auto with EVO III Turbo upgrade, and all fuel components, downpipe, exhaust, greddy intercooler kit with DSMLink. I've made my original boost gauge read knock %. Well, I raced an SRT4 and got walked like a newborn puppy... anyway, during the race, i ddin't realize i was already in "D" then shifted to "N". I let off the gas as soon as i realized i wasn't accelerating and the car died. I was already near home so i just started it back up and drove home. I didn't notice that anything was wrong until i drove it to work the next day. On city roads, it's okay but when I get on the hwy, my "knock gauge" keeps climbing and DSMLink turns on the CEL after 5% of knock and turns it back off whenever the knock % gets below 5%. I can't even drive past 60 w/out it starting to knock...t hen i let off the gas and everything's okay... as soon as i start to accelerate again, a few moments later it'll knock some more! I love this car but if it keeps giving me problems... it's up for sale... please lemme know what's wrong with it guys!

2. Ultimatedsm

Ultimatedsm Probationary Member

Joined Apr 20, 2005
    Scarborough,
    Either tighten the sensor or if you have over 60K on your car, replace the sensor.

3. GVR4592

GVR4592 Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2004
    Bellingham, Washington
    How high did the engine rev when it was in neutral? I think you should read the Dsmlink manual a few times. You don't seem to have a good grasp of knock and how Dsmlink displays it. Does the engine run rough? Can you hear the knock or are you just going by Dsmlink? Are there any other symptoms?

GVR4592

747  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  4. dxr

dxr Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    wow exactly 14 years to the DAY and this car is sitll not running yet haha. soon though! soon.

5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Did you ever figure out the knock problem? Was it a rod bearing from over revving in neutral?
    Just thought I'd ask so there is "closure" to the thread.

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

933  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM