The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Carbon Fiber Hood Visuals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevyDSM

Proven Member
Apr 16, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
I am trying to figure out what CF hood to go with but one thing i am stuck on is the look of some hoods. I want my hood to look like the first three pictures attached and wondering what the difference in appearance is from the next two pictures. Is the reason you can see the carbon weave just the point of view the hood is looked at or what?

Attachments

• vis_2g_dsm_xtreme_gt_carbon_fiber_hood3.jpg
    vis_2g_dsm_xtreme_gt_carbon_fiber_hood3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 876
  • 9112_1258.jpg
    9112_1258.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,712
  • IMG_0024 (5)_2-700x700.JPG
    IMG_0024 (5)_2-700x700.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 510
  • 100_0186.jpg
    100_0186.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,738
  • cf-hood-and-hatch-eclipse.jpg
    cf-hood-and-hatch-eclipse.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,742
I would say yes. In my humble opinion and having two cars with CF hoods and one with a CF hard top I would say that the angle at which you look at the hood will change the appearance. Also depends on wether the CF has been clear coated which gives it a glossy look and shows the fibers better. I've seen CF that is sanded down and not clear coated and it looks similar to the dull matte hood in one of your pics. Also make sure it's CF and not fiber glass I'm sure you know the differences. Personally I ended up painting my CF hoods on my vr4 galant and 2g eclipse to match the rest of the car. I wanted the Evo style CF hood for the venting benefit since the turbo gets pretty hot, I like the look a lot, and CF is light and very strong as opposed to fiber glass. Hope that helped some.

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 413
I'm offended you didn't use my car as one of your examples :thumb:

You can only see the carbon fiber from close up. Around about 8 or 9 yards and further and it just looks like a black hood. But trust me, up close it will look gorgeous :D installing hood pins is a terrifying experience and so is installing the hood for the first time, but after that it's smooth sailing :cool:

I'd buy a VIS carbon fiber hood if I was you (I got mine from Andy's Autosports) because the VIS hood uses the factory hood latch. You have to give it some muscle to push the hood down all the way but once you get it the first time and the hood starts to shape to the latch a little more it becomes as easy as closing the factory hood. I wouldn't slam it shut though ... I lay the hood down and then push down on it firmly.

Getting the carbon wet sanded and cleared gives it a great depth. Also keeps it from yellowing and the epoxy cracking. I just had my fenders, hood, roof, and trunk done (all carbon fiber) and they look amazing.

FRS is going for a swap, so I'm building the DSM as my "daily". Took her to my shop last night.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 143
They look amazing. I would be interested in one but only if it had effective venting. I would like to do that to my stock hood, in fact, but the work..... Ya get one shot to do it right and i'm no body/paint man!

I'd buy a VIS carbon fiber hood if I was you (I got mine from Andy's Autosports) because the VIS hood uses the factory hood latch. You have to give it some muscle to push the hood down all the way but once you get it the first time and the hood starts to shape to the latch a little more it becomes as easy as closing the factory hood. I wouldn't slam it shut though ... I lay the hood down and then push down on it firmly.
I have always wondered about CF hoods using the factory latch. I have seen a lot of people install hood pins because they say the latch doesn't line up right, thank you for posting the company name and your experience. I really like the CF hoods but I hate hood pins so I'm glad to know that they can be avoided.

Thought I'd chime in to say that I've ordered quite a few parts from Andy's Auto Sport in the past for some previous cars, and my experience has always been a positive one. :thumb:

I would say yes. In my humble opinion and having two cars with CF hoods and one with a CF hard top I would say that the angle at which you look at the hood will change the appearance. Also depends on wether the CF has been clear coated which gives it a glossy look and shows the fibers better. I've seen CF that is sanded down and not clear coated and it looks similar to the dull matte hood in one of your pics. Also make sure it's CF and not fiber glass I'm sure you know the differences. Personally I ended up painting my CF hoods on my vr4 galant and 2g eclipse to match the rest of the car. I wanted the Evo style CF hood for the venting benefit since the turbo gets pretty hot, I like the look a lot, and CF is light and very strong as opposed to fiber glass. Hope that helped some.

The evo style hood vent doesn't really effect underhood temps much at all. Maybe a bit at idle in traffic, but once you are moving the air flows down and under the engine bay not up and out the hood vent.

The Andrew Brilliant DSM hood is basically the only one with functional airflow.

if you could find one of the ones with the speed bump that has the scoop still, that might help a bit at speed. But its not really in a great spot for anything but keeping your timing belt cool.

I have a Seibon Evo-style on my 2G. I brought the hood latch up like 3mm to catch the hood. Still have to use a little nudge to get it locked in. I’m also running Aerocatch latches as well for added measure. Nothing beats a freshly washed and wax hood. I have CF front fenders as well and it really sets off the front.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I'm also not a fan of hood pins so I went with the aerocatch.
This is a Seibon carbon fiber hood.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back