The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Carbon Fiber Hood Hazing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mother's makes a good polish to get rid of hazing. but if its too bad then you might need to get the hood recleared.

does anyone know what Mothers Polish? To get it re-clearcoated id have to get it wet too right? the haze is not real bad but some angles the hood looks great other is doesnt

Mine is a VIS and after a year and a half i started to get white spots.:notgood from the sun. i never new that you had to take care of them.:cry:. I also started to get cracks which i am wondering is normal?:mad:

I have a VIS hood. I kept it waxed because I had heard of the notorious VIS fade, but It started fading anyway. It started with small spots and soon the whole hood looked like crap. A friend of mine got a VIS hood and it started doing the same thing so I warned him of what happened to mine. He took it to a body shop where they sanded it to remove the faded spots and put a couple of coats of clear on it (just as kittay suggestet you do). It looked good after that and didn't fade anymore.

yup. VIS is known for using a faulty clear coat. any good body shop can sand it down and put a lot better of a clear coat on there. and wax it just like you would wax any other part of your car.

Just as a side note, the VIS carbon fiber hoods, and many others, for that matter, aren't clear coated at all. It's actually a resin, a lot like, if not the same as fiberglass resin used to make fiberglass parts hard and smooth.. I'd actually recommend clearing any carbon fiber component if possible because it ads a degree of UV protection not found in the resin, even if it's brand new. Unless it's bare carbon fiber which isn't at all typical to consumer exterior pieces.

I have a vis hood and it has not only started to crack but has started to become weaker in the center, sort of soft feeling. When I get my new hood it will most likely be from carbon-trix or hi-rev.

When purchasing Carbon Fiber parts, you have to be sure they are using epoxy resin. The epoxy stands up better to UV. Also if it cracks you normally will have one crack, it wont spider out. Some doing Carbon work will use Polyester resins designed for fiberglass to save some cash. They dont have the durability Expoy does.

All the shops i went to wanted like $3-400 to reclear my cf hood. So i said f it, got another stock hood, put it on the car and trashed the cf hood, it was faded to hell.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back