1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Carbon Fiber Hood Hazing

Posted by amskater, Jan 13, 2009

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. amskater

amskater Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Does anyone know any good ways to get rid of the hazing on a carbon fiber hood?

260  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Mother's makes a good polish to get rid of hazing. but if its too bad then you might need to get the hood recleared.

3. amskater

amskater Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    does anyone know what Mothers Polish? To get it re-clearcoated id have to get it wet too right? the haze is not real bad but some angles the hood looks great other is doesnt

260  0

manual · 2G DSM
  4. mitsubishi9908

mitsubishi9908 Proven Member

Joined Mar 24, 2008
    rochester, New York
    you can get a hood recleard. how does that work?

415  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. kittay

kittay Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Sand it down to get the yellow'd clear off, then have an auto body place re-clear it.

Was it VIS?

480  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.384 @ 112.270 · 1G DSM
  6. amskater

amskater Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    pretty sure its not VIS :( I traded my stock hood for it

260  0

manual · 2G DSM
  7. eclipse_16g

eclipse_16g Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2008
    Naugatuck, Connecticut
    just curious where did you purchase the hood?

1K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. mitsubishi9908

Joined Mar 24, 2008
    rochester, New York
    Mine is a VIS and after a year and a half i started to get white spots.:notgood from the sun. i never new that you had to take care of them.:cry:. I also started to get cracks which i am wondering is normal?:mad:

415  0

manual · 2G DSM
  9. xsboost

xsboost Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2008
    New Bern, North Carolina
    I have a VIS hood. I kept it waxed because I had heard of the notorious VIS fade, but It started fading anyway. It started with small spots and soon the whole hood looked like crap. A friend of mine got a VIS hood and it started doing the same thing so I warned him of what happened to mine. He took it to a body shop where they sanded it to remove the faded spots and put a couple of coats of clear on it (just as kittay suggestet you do). It looked good after that and didn't fade anymore.

10. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    yup. VIS is known for using a faulty clear coat. any good body shop can sand it down and put a lot better of a clear coat on there. and wax it just like you would wax any other part of your car.

11. amskater

amskater Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    has anyone taken their hood to a body shop to get theirs wet sanded and a new clear coat? just checking to see what others paid

260  0

manual · 2G DSM
  12. Winglessflight

Winglessflight Supporting Member

Joined Aug 30, 2005
    Port St Lucie, Florida
    Just as a side note, the VIS carbon fiber hoods, and many others, for that matter, aren't clear coated at all. It's actually a resin, a lot like, if not the same as fiberglass resin used to make fiberglass parts hard and smooth.. I'd actually recommend clearing any carbon fiber component if possible because it ads a degree of UV protection not found in the resin, even if it's brand new. Unless it's bare carbon fiber which isn't at all typical to consumer exterior pieces.

277  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  13. talon_swift7834

talon_swift7834 Proven Member

Joined May 13, 2008
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    I have a vis hood and it has not only started to crack but has started to become weaker in the center, sort of soft feeling. When I get my new hood it will most likely be from carbon-trix or hi-rev.

326  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  14. Sarge32

Sarge32 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 11, 2008
    Manchester, Pennsylvania
    When purchasing Carbon Fiber parts, you have to be sure they are using epoxy resin. The epoxy stands up better to UV. Also if it cracks you normally will have one crack, it wont spider out. Some doing Carbon work will use Polyester resins designed for fiberglass to save some cash. They dont have the durability Expoy does.

15. olmytsi

olmytsi Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    All the shops i went to wanted like $3-400 to reclear my cf hood. So i said f it, got another stock hood, put it on the car and trashed the cf hood, it was faded to hell.

16. mitsubishi9908

Joined Mar 24, 2008
    rochester, New York
    I will never purchase another VIS carbon fiber hood. I will buy it from another maker. I could not believe how much lighter the carbon fiber hood was though.

415  0

manual · 2G DSM