1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Car wont start

Posted by Gabriel noir, Jan 17, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Gabriel noir

Gabriel noir Probationary Member

Joined Dec 10, 2019
    Thornton, Colorado
    I’ve had a 97 eclipse for two months, put in fuel once it wouldn’t start at all no lights no clicks and suddenly everything worked, the next day the car just died for good and I got a new battery. Car died after 40 mins of driving and would only stay on for as long as the jump was so I changed the alternator today after it sitting for a while. Drove an hour out car was fine I parked at a gas station and the car wouldn’t start, no lights no clicks or anything I got a jump and still nothing with the new battery and alternator I hit the starter a few times and it started with the jump and then died a few minutes later but I’ve changed the alternator already and the fuse wasn’t blown. Now the cars stuck across town and I’m not sure how to fix it The battery’s at my house charging and I’m not sure if a bad starter prevents the alternator from charging the battery or if I have some weird short

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You don't have a weird short, you have a weird open somewhere, either your missing a good ground to your engine block or the positive to the fuse box from the battery isn't making a clean connection.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Gabriel noir

Gabriel noir Probationary Member

Joined Dec 10, 2019
    Thornton, Colorado
    Good ground to engine block?

4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Yes, the engine block and body need to be grounded to the negative battery cable.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Blinkyblinx9

Blinkyblinx9 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 22, 2019
    Clinton, Iowa
    By "no lights no clicks" I am assuming you have tried the running and head lights and that they are not working. If that is the case then start by visually checking all of the wires and terminals between your battery and fuse boxes. Any worn and corroded/green looking copper needs to be replaced. Check, clean, and replace as needed all of your grounds and ground wires particularly the one from the battery to the fire wall. Once you are sure your fuse boxes have a good connection to the battery + and that the - terminal is grounded to the firewall properly using a multi-meter to check not only continuity but resistance check to see if the issue is resolved. If this has not fixed your issue move on to checking individual wires and grounds at the ECU and other components. If by "no lights no clicks" you mean the dash lights indicating that the key is in the run position are not coming on but the running and head lights are then I would first check the ignition switch and its connections/wires. Second to that make sure that power is getting to the ECU and that all of its grounds have continuity to battery -. Get a manual, the diagrams and diagnostic advice in them will usually take you a long way.

206  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Previously tk106

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sounds like a connection issue. If it’s similar to a 1g, there should be two grounds. One that connects to one of the starter bolts (don’t think this one is your issue), and one at the firewall to intake manifold. I’d also inspect the alternator wire to fuse box and clean all these connections. There’s another 2 from ground and positive from fuse box to battery. Also check the battery terminals, sometimes they’re cracked. When you don’t have power at all, turn the headlights on and wiggle the terminals and wires to if that turns on the lights.

Get you one of these.

USMEI Dual USB Charger Socket Waterproof Power Outlet 4.8A with 12V/24V Voltmeter LED Digital Display for Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors

287  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

288  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM