The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Car Wont Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseOneDSM

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2010
Olympia, Washington
I have a 1995 GST eclipse and i bought it and it ran rough when i first start it every morning i had to let it warm up for 4 min till it would actually run. so i took it to my parents shop and started looking at it since i really hadn't had a chance. so come to find out its got a 1g engine it it and its using a 2g eprom ecu. My problem is i took the intake manifold off and after i put it back on and hooked everything back up now it wont start. I have spark and after pulling the plugs out i can smell gas on them and after cranking a while the plugs will have some oil on them as well. idk! do i need to have the wires hooked up dif with this setup? any ideas what could cause this?:confused:

Wires should be 4123 on the coil pack. The only things on the IM that would prevent your car from starting are the coil pack and the power transistor. My guess is you unhooked something else while taking off the IM.

And why did you take off the intake manifold in the first place?

It's possible that when you removed the intake you got something in the egr
or you could have the wrong vac line connected to it, just throwing out ideas. It is difficult to pinpoint, But I would double check all the vacuum lines you reconnected, and also check for a pinched or shorted wire. Good luck!

i took the IM off to see if it was a 1g head. ### the guy that sold me the car didn't know anything about the car. I had ordered a 95 intake mani because at first i was thinking he put a 1g mani on the car thinking it would add power so i ordered a 95 mani for $25 bux and was going to swap it out, put it back to stock. but it turns out its a full 1g swap. And when it took the plug wires off i assumed they where the stock setting 4123. i removed the egr stuff when i first got the car since it was half done anyway. so theres not much vacuum lines anymore. And the car ran until i took the mani off and put it back on. so the only ideas i have is the plug wires are on wrong? or since the harness is all electical taped up maybe i have the injector wires on the wrong injectors? idk i tried diff setups.

I know its something simple and will prob have to tow it the two hours to English racing. im just not as knowledgeable on the dsms as i am other cars.

before you do that long tow, you should tear down that wiring harness, 6 bolt swaps require wiring harness alterations. maybe from moving the harness around, you may have separated a poor connection.

thats a good point. do you happen to know what some of the areas that get altered? it might help me pen point the spots to look for!

Wires should be 4123 on the coil pack. The only things on the IM that would prevent your car from starting are the coil pack and the power transistor.

Are you sure thats right? I know when you do a 2gb swap in a 2ga you have to swap the plug wires around due to the CAS being different. Being that his car is a 2ga with a 1g CAS (most likely) Im thinking that might be the case, he may have not even botherd to pay attention when taking the wires off because its something so small. Also because the harness lays across the mani he proll had to disconnect the crank sensor. That would prevent the car from starting/running.

Also there is a ground that goes from the intake mani to the firewall.. MAKE SURE THATS CONNECTED!! I had a starting issue for about a week because of that small pos wire..

I've been doing a lot of research on the swap because im in the process of doing one myself. I know if the manifold differential pressure sensor (mdp) was used then the connector has to be extended towards the drivers side of the engine. there is another little box that is normally bolted on the center of the intake manifold on 7 bolts, which is mounted under the IM on the back of the block on the drivers side. Those wires also have to be extended. and the crank angle sensor connector definatly had to be altered to use the 6 bolt CAS. Also, I'm not sure which coil pack you have, but the wires that go to that could have been messed with. Basically the bundle of wires that lay across the IM with the injector wires coming out of it.

Did you check for vacuum/boost leaks after you re-installed the IM? When you pull the IM there lots of opportunity's of creating a bad enough boost leak that won't allow your car to start. Unless you take the proper precautions when your reinstalling everything i.e. new throttle body gaskets, new IM mani gasket, and proper torque on the IM bolts.

How did you determine its a 1g motor anyway?

:dsm:

I know its a 1g head do to the port sizes and i checked the bottom by the oil pan and i was told that if it dimples in toward the passenger side its a 6bolt.

an the CAS is black im not sure what year cas that is?

Just checking. Some will see a 1g CAS and think the motors a 6-bolt, just making sure man. If your running a 1g CAS then your plug wires need to be swapped exactly backwards of what your coil pack bracket shows. The reason being is because you've got a '95-'96 ECU running a non '95-'96 CAS (the 1g CAS), I believe someone mentioned this above.

Heres a picture to show you how to hook your plug wires up, if this doesn't fix the problem do a boost leak test.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yea this is a very common problem with the swap, no body KNOWS this, if you have spark and fuel, which you said you smelt is then this is your problem.... its always good to note things as you remove them because on a dsm its most likely that someone swapped something so its no longer stock and then this happens.

thanks everybody for your help and thanks DSMike1 you where right it was the wiring when i moved the harness the wiring to the CAS come loose. so the guy that did the swap did a crappy wiring job. but also the wires do need to be swapped for my engine ecu arrangement. i had to switch the 4&1 plug with the 2&3 to get it to work so gofer was also correct. It runs great now with the new wiring job and new spark plugs :)

thanks again everyone!

I know its a 1g head do to the port sizes and i checked the bottom by the oil pan and i was told that if it dimples in toward the passenger side its a 6bolt.

an the CAS is black im not sure what year cas that is?

Pretty sure youve got that wrong. Check the vfaq but I'm almost positive my 6 bolt goes out.

Wires should be 4123 on the coil pack
He's running a '95-'96 ECU with a non '95-'96 cam angle sensor so his plug wires need to be swapped to
3-2 1-4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back