The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

car won't start!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoungbob

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2010
Chatsworth, Georgia
Okay, a 1998 Eclipse, double over-head cam 2.0, the car will start and run okay, then the car starts running rough, and dies. Then, it will not start back, until the car sits for a while. Any ideas?

More info would help... Is a CEL illuminated? If so what?

Does it start running rough when you get on the accelerator or does this all happen at idle? There are a lot of things that could cause symptoms like that.

Check the MAF (make sure it's clean). Also check the front O2 sensor. If you have a boost leak leak it would run poorly. Is air getting into the intake after the MAF i.e. is there a leak after the filter housing/MAF? Check to make sure the fuel filter is clean. The fuel pump could be dying. Check the compression... The list goes on...

Okay, a 1998 Eclipse, double over-head cam 2.0, the car will start and run okay, then the car starts running rough, and dies. Then, it will not start back, until the car sits for a while. Any ideas?

Start with the MIL. Is there one on and if there is you can a manually retrieve the code by jumping two pins at your DLC

This sounds as if your ect is telling your pcm that is is -32 degrees outside and delievering fuel to your cyclinders like crazy. Do you have access to a dvom and a repair manual? Voltage out of Range and DC voltage tests should giude you into the right direction

Last edited:
not trying to steal the thread. BUT..

my car ran fine yesterday. and now it wont start and when i play with the throttle and hold it at like 2k. it smokes black smoke baddd. it runs rough!

but it wont idle, let alone start up and stay idled for more than two seconds by itself.

i checked for boost leaks. nothing
i changed the crankshaft sensor. still crappy.
changed the o2 sensor.. STILL same thing
changed the plugs.
checked for spark.
clean and checked the MAF.
checked the fuses.

i looked over all plugs and wires. everything seems right and connected.

I'm gonna try to change the ECT tomorow. but what else could it be?

HELP ME =(

I need my car for work. and this isn't helping me hold my job...

What I did was change the EGR valve and the little pipe that runs to the back of the head, and it starts now. You have to turn it over for a minute and then it will start. Any idea why you would have to turn it over for a minute or two?

Yes I have checked fule pressure. Even took the fule pump and put it in another car and had no problems. Any more idea's ?

Ok. I had the car in the shop last week and no codes showed up to be bad on the car. So what could it be?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back