The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Car won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurnBarfield

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2005
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Symptom
-Car will not crank, everything else works as far as radio and accessories.
-Totally random click from engine bay when attempting to crank

My efforts diagnose
-Battery is good
-Tried new starter and is good
-Starts when bump started
-Key on run, and run a 12v+ wire from the battery to the thin starter wire, will allow the car to start everytime

In my mind I feel like it has to be a problem between the ignition switch to the wire on the starter.. If so, will a bad ign switch do this? Sounds like a bad relay? Anything else in that lines to check?

Is a ground possibly an issue?

Bad starter relay. Just change it.

I agree. Starter relays are not more than 10 bucks. A friend had the same problem with his dodge truck. Swore that it was an ignition problem and not the relay. I bought him a relay for 10 bucks, installed it and it started immediately. :hellyeah:

Okay, well I am taking the starter back today or tomorrow, and will pick up a new starter relay..

What is the best way to actually check grounds?

I am having this same problem. Im going to try the starter relay first and go from there.

I am having this same problem. Im going to try the starter relay first and go from there.

You may want to check up under the dash. Look at the clutch pedal assembly and see if the little plastic button that engages also the clutch switch is still there. They can break off fairly easy on these older DSMs, and it will cause the car not to start.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back