The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car won't start..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z32

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2005
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Well yesterday I bought a 1990 Tsi AWD and the seller told me that the car was running very rich and if you stall its very hard to start it up. Well my friend took it for a test drive and stalled it, so we had to push it order to get it started. So then we started to head back home and my friend was driving the Talon, and I was following him in another car. Well we had to stop to pay a toll and after he payed it, he decided to floor it, he went up to about 5k RPMs in 1st gear and the car just stalled. we tried push starting it, but all it would do is blow thick black smoke outta the exhaust. So we had the car towed to my house and I tried starting it today and it doesn't start, just keeps turning over. What could be the problem?

Here are some of the mods the car has:

Walbro 255 pump
550cc injectors
Big 16G
2g mas
Dejon intake
2.5 ss dp
Highflow Cat
ported 2g manifold and 02 housing

How's all that fuel being controlled? AFC? Without one you would be running SUPER rich. Probably killed the plugs, check them out. Fresh ones should get you a starting car, but without something to control that pump and those injectors it will run like crap and probably die again.

I dont have any AFC controller, I will be buying one later, but I need to try to start the car..

Well...like my previous post, good luck! I'd check/replace the plugs, they are most likely the culprit, and will get the car back "running" again, but driving the car without an AFC is a bad idea. If you can't hustle up the 300 bones for the AFC, find somebody with 450cc injectors sitting around and borrow them until you can. That should make driveability more possible.

I was just checking my spark plugs and realised that I have no spark..

Well that would do it! None of the plugs are firing? Or just some? Check for lost connections at the coil pack. I'm not sure if you lose all spark when the coil pack goes bad, or just some, or just strength across the board. I'd also check the fuses.

Yay the car just started, I found something disconnected right after the timing belt. Thanks for your tips. But I think the car is still running rich..

You have 550 cc injectors and no way of controlling your air to fuel? You are causing a bit of damage. First of all your Catalitic converter will not like those super rich conditions. Second of all, there is fuel thats getting into your oil pan which contaminates oil again thats from super rich conditions. I would NOT drive it until it gets an AFC or DSMLINK of some sort.

Ultimatedsm said:
You have 550 cc injectors and no way of controlling your air to fuel? You are causing a bit of damage. First of all your Catalitic converter will not like those super rich conditions. Second of all, there is fuel thats getting into your oil pan which contaminates oil again thats from super rich conditions. I would NOT drive it until it gets an AFC or DSMLINK of some sort.

I would agree, the car may run, but it's not doing well. Swap out those injectors or get an AFC/DSMlink.

Yea it's running super rich, that's why i'm not registering before I get an AFC and tune it..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back